Chapter 21

"Not ship names." I told Ash as he lay next to me on the bed, thinking about ship names.

If anyone saw us like this, they'd think we are searching for baby names.

"Why not?" He whined like a baby. He looked so adorable.

"Because, I don't like my relationship being named."

"As you wish. But how about..." He trailed off looking at something on my desk.

I looked in the line of his vision to see a few photographs, from when I was younger.

It was a collage I made after Cindy passed. I took many pictures I had of her and made one.

"Is she your mother?" Asher pointed to Cindy, in a picture. It was on my eleventh birthday. I remember taking that picture. I threw my hands around her neck from behind and both of us had bright smiles on our faces.

More like your mother.

"No. She is Nico's Wife."

"Nico?"

"Nicolas Jeremy Everett"

"Right. She is beautiful."

"She was." I said with a sad tune.

"And familiar." My heart skipped a beat. Did he notice?

I looked at him and saw him looking back at me already.

"Familiar?"

"Yeah. Her hair and her eyes. They look familiar and her face, if she had more angular cheekbones... She'd look just like Aunt Lucy."

"Now since you are saying.... I notice too." I play dumb.

"So anyway.... Did you find any clues? About who is trying to kill me?"

"Small ones...? yeah. But I don't think you'd want to know."

"Why not?"

"They are... Unbelievable? We still can't find the right things."

"El... What are you hiding?"

I sighed. I have to tell him.

"The dart like thing, we found on you yesterday... It's not actually a dart. It's a tracking device..... And it has the logo of-"

"Hales industries" he finished looking at me.

"How do you know?"

"I just figured it out. When I was young, my dad used to tell me things about those. How he'd make such things in the future. So... I guessed."

"It may not be your dad, you know?"

"I do. I don't find any reason for him to kill me. Unless I'm....." He trailed of looking away. "Unless I'm such a disappointment." He mumbled to himself.

"Ash... You are not a disappointment."

"My mother left me when I was still a baby... Isn't it a strong proof telling I'm a disappointment? A disgrace?"

"Why don't you think?"

"Think what? Why didn't she care enough to talk to me? At least once all these years? Why my dad wants me dead? It's no rocket science why I'm staying with my aunt and not my dad."

"Ash... Why don't you think from other's point of view? Maybe your mother left you because she had to? Maybe someone is trying to frame your father while killing you?"

"And maybe my father wanted you to think someone was framing him?" He retorted. That shut me up. There is a chance that it might be true.

That Jon Hales wanted his son dead and us to think that someone was trying to frame him for killing Ash.

"Your mother leaving had nothing to do with you being wanted dead." I told him.

"What do you mean?"

" You are not a disappointment, Ash. Your mother loved you. She loved you more than herself. She loved you so much that she gave up her life."

"What are you talking about, El?" He asked with confusion twisting his face.

"I am talking about the truth. The truth that everyone hid from you." I told him. "And from me" I added with a small voice.

"And what is that truth?"

"That Cindy Everett is your mother and she left because someone threatened her to kill you, if she did not leave you."

"And who is that someone?" He asked trying to mask his reaction to the revelation.

"That is why I am here. To find out who did it"