Chapter 2

The girl who ever she was better stayed out of his way, she wasn't his mother's first attempt to see him blissfully wed. Every one of them eagerly obliged to his mother wishes trying to catch his attention, hoping to become next Mrs. Jenkins. Alexander was young when he married Helen. He was only twenty-two at the time. He thought it was love, but he'll never make the same mistake again. Helen divorced him when she met an older, rich businessman. She packed one day and left through the door and only the divorce papers came back. Luckily he had a prenup. It was the only thing that saved the ranch. He swore love would never take him for a fool again. Rina was perfect.

Emma threw the last few pieces of clothing in her suitcase, closed it up and with an effort lifted it off the bed. It hit the floor with a thud. At her five foot five the suitcase was above her waistline. She was leaving her one bedroom rented apartment behind and with it her neighbors loud music and arguing. The oversized luggage won't stop her. Her dark brown hair pulled into a usual ponytail. Her black slacks and cream blouse with the blazer like jacket gave her a professional impression she was striving for.

Emma knew she wasn't a beauty, her features were ordinary and her green eyes were the first thing people usually noticed about her. Her mouth was a little too full in her opinion. She was slender with the nice full breast, but she always dressed not to draw attention.

When Mrs. Jenkins offered her a position, she grabbed it without thinking twice. She knew Kate and her mother used to be childhood friends and it was a solace she wasn't a total stranger to her family.

Her father's hospital bill had to be repaid, and this job paid well. On top of it, she won't have a rent to pay, and that meant the loan she took to cover the bill paid off faster.

Secluded ranch life will suit her perfectly. She longed for a quiet place far away from her birth town where she always ran into her cousin or Mark himself.

Mark, her ex boyfriend and now her cousin's husband taught her a lesson in not trusting love, or men. As soon she introduced him to the beautiful blonde Mia, she was yesterday's paper to him. She'll never forget his words when she confronted him about going out with Mia behind her back.

"Why would I want a mouse when I can have a swan?"

His words made a deep cut, and she only attended their wedding because her aunt asked her to. It was the longest day of her life, but she sailed through it without anyone guessing how deeply she was hurt. Love was sometime inexplicable, or she thought it was love what she felt for Mark. If only a year ago, today it all seemed as it was so long ago and not entirely clear in her memory. More and more she was convinced it wasn't love she felt for him.

******

Her thoughts got interrupted when the landing wheels touched the pavement. The three-hour flight was over. She looked around the busy airport to spot someone from the Jankin's ranch. By the gate the older gentlemen held the sign she couldn't miss written in big letters Ms. Jackson. She dragged her luggage behind her to the black truck parked nearby. The tall, gray-haired cowboy who introduced himself as Tom helped her lift it behind the seat. On the way to the ranch, he explained the nature of ranch's business. From him she learned all about the cattle grazing in the pastures, and about the new feedlot. Even tired as she was, she soaked in every word happily.

The first showing of the house caught her by surprise. It wasn't a traditional ranch style, she expected, but three story modern mansion with balconies wrapped in glass railings all the way around.

They stopped at the end of a long drive. Kate waited for her at the door, "I'm sorry I didn't meet you myself, but I had to wait for the phone call and Tom was the best source of info."

"You look a lot like your mother. I still miss her."

"Thank you for your kindness. I miss her too." Sincerely answer Emma.

"I'm so inconsiderate keeping you at my doorstep. Come on in." Kate motion her.

The young cowboy just came around the corner and Kate addressed him, " Matt would you take Miss. Emma's luggage upstairs to her room."

"Not a problem, Mrs. Jenkins." He eagerly replied.

The hot tea and sandwiches waited at the table in the spacious room. Emma thanked Kate for the opportunity and they settled into a comfortable talk about the past and business.

The voices coming from the back of the house got closer. One seductive feminine and one man's deep, husky and muscular. They walked in and Emma had to hold her breath.

The most devastating looking man stood in front of her, she got caught by surprise and could only stare at him. She never stared at anyone before. It took her a few moments to notice the presence of a woman that walked in with him. She was petite, blonde, clothed in elegant riding habit, her hair fell around her face in a soft, perfect curls not one out of place after obviously been outdoors riding. The next thing Emma observed were her perfectly manicured hands. The woman noticed Emma's gaze and looped her arm around her companion's.

"Alexander let me introduce you. This is my new assistant Emma Jackson. Emma this is my son, and his friend Rina. " Her new employer interfered and saved her from embarrassment. Though, it was a little too late, the deep blue eyes looked at her with contempt. The coldness in them surprised her.