Chapter 16

Emma placed sleeping Zachary back in his crib. Going back and spending rest of the evening with Alexander and his mistress didn't appeal to her at all. She lost her appetite altogether. Instead, she changed into her PJ and slip into her housecoat. It would be useless to try to sleep so instead she opened her laptop. She decided it was a good time as any to surf the internet for a job close by and at the same time for suitable accommodation.

The task diverted her thoughts. After almost losing hope one of the new ads caught her attention. It was an advertisement for a bookkeeper slash sales representative for one of the local farms. She was good at both and the position came with a living arrangement, if needed, in one of the cabins on the property. Emma knew right away this was what she was looking for. It was close enough for Alexander not to have a valid reason to stop her and for Kate to visit and see her grandson any time she wished.

For the first time since she was back Emma saw the light at the end of the tunnel. Her guilty conscious the one she knew she shouldn't feel almost made her abandon the idea, but she had to look at a bigger picture and further into the future. There were many children growing up with parents that had an equal share custody. It cannot be all bad. Maybe somewhere down the road her feelings and love for Alexander will fade away and she'll find her happiness.

She won't let him destroy her, somehow she'll patch her heart.

As clear as a day it was obvious that Alexander's ranch wasn't her home. She felt more and more like an unwanted visitor. Her own place will be where she can start her own life. She applied without another thought and crossed her fingers. She fell asleep with a hope of a brighter future.

The rays of sunshine entered through her window, but that wasn't what woke her up. It was the sound from the baby monitor. Alexander was in Zachary's room changing him and talking to him. Shortly after she could hear Tara's voice and the door closing. It meant he was gone. Emma got out of bed, showered, got dressed, and wished she never looked out of the widow. Two riders came into her line of vision deeply in conversation their horses as close as they could get.

With her heart written all over her face, she was happy not to encounter anyone in the kitchen. Kate was usually gone early, and two lovebirds were out riding. Automatically, she grabbed a bowl of cereal; she wasn't sure if she'll be able to eat and went back upstairs.

They are not worth it Emma! How easy was to think it, but somehow the tightness in her chest refused to ease up.

Despite her mood the day outside looked too sunny and warm to spend it indoors. So she decided to take Zachary for some fresh air. After she got him ready Emma dressed in a long country style dress and slipped her sandals on and hastily pulled her hair with an elastic at the nape of her neck.

If she has to stay here until she sorts different accommodation she can at least enjoy what was offered. On the back of the house there was a beautiful long terrace with the half covered swimming pool. She chose to sit on the swing that was part of an elegant patio furniture. It was a perfect place to relax and enjoy the sunny day without anyone disturbing you. Zachary looked so relaxed in her arms that she didn't have a heart to put him down into his carry-on. She simply enjoyed his closeness brushing aside every sad feeling from her heart. Zachary made up for her loneliness.

Alexander came around the house and stopped in his tracks. He spotted Emma whom wasn't aware of him yet. He took a chance to absorb the quiet of the morning with the sight of her holding their son. It was a picture he'll never likely forget. It captured his heart; he wanted to get closer to them and scooped both in his arms.

He can't say he ever felt such a strong pull towards any woman. The feeling of warmth, and deep longing got combined in one. The realization took him by the speed of a light. He loved Emma!