Flowers

Lena slowed her pace as she drew nearer with each step to the familiar pearly white suburban family house each week. With a quick peek in the windows, Lena picked up her usual bundle of roses before raising to stand up and continue down her path. That was until she heard a door slam before her.

"You!" Lena turned, her grip on the flowers tight as a young blonde marched up to her with a fiery look.
"You're the one who takes my flowers all the time?" Lena tried to speak. Sort of. She didn't really want to, enjoying the sight of the girl go off on her, flailing her hands about and momentarily stopping to push her glasses back up her nose.

"Are you done?" She softly asked as she took a gasp of air. With a nod, Lena was signaled that she was able to continue.

"Yes, I am the one who takes your flowers. You can have them back, and I can pay for any damage I did to your plants." Lena held out the bundle of flowers and was digging out her wallet. That was, until the girl waved her off, furiously walking ahead of her muttering under her breath.

Lena stood in place, a bit confused. Realizing that the brunette wasn't following her, she turned around.

"Aren't you coming?"

"Well. Yeah." She replied, catching up with the girl as she continued on the path, now side by side with a stranger. After a few moments of silence, Lena broke it with a question.
"Why are you coming with me?"

"To make sure that the guy is worth the flowers." She replied without hesitation, but then sheer panic rode her face and she quickly stopped.
"Or.. or girl! Sorry,I didn't know I mean wait no you can be straight you just look very gay- Wait. No that's not what I meant-" by then Lena was laughing. Something that she hasn't done for a while, yet is something that this stranger is able to do in a manner of seconds.

"It's fine, and I actually do prefer girls,so you're right." Except for one thing.

"Oh cool. I'm gay too, well I'm bi, so like half gay?" She added the last part as a joke, though her smile disappeared as she glanced at Lena's shocked face.
"Are you.. are you not okay with bi people?" She asked, her voice growing smaller.

Realizing what she had just asked, Lena jumped quickly in surprise, "No! No, no I'm not. I- yeah, bi's are cool" and cute. Though she kept that to herself.

"So,uh, what's your name?" By now, the neighborhood has become more upper class and she's noticed the behavior of the girl become more comfortable.

"Lena,you?" She glanced sideways at the girl who seemed very focused on the cracks on the sidewalk.

"Kara" Kara. She could've said something smooth like "A beautiful name for a beautiful girl" or something like that. But, nothing but a nod came out of her. Her stomach began to clench and squirm. They were getting near the graveyard. She really didn't want to crush the bright smile on Kara's face as she plowed her with questions.

"So how long have you and your girlfriend been together?" Lena looked away, pretending to count. She was good at lying, usually. Though, for some reason she found it hard to make eye contact with her.

"Uh, a.. a few months I guess." That's when it happened. She turned the corner and they were walking in the graveyard. This time, Lena seemed very interested in counting the graves. Pretending to look for the grave even though her body had memorized it by heart. The questions stopped, she wasn't even sure if Kara was still there.

    Slowly, she set the flowers on the grave. The tombstone etched with her brother's name.

"I'm sorry" Came a soft voice from beside her.

"It's fine, It's been a few years anyway." It was a lie. The pain was still raw, but she's learned to cope with it. Nights invested into her work, pushing the thoughts that chased her. He was the only who understood her and she thought he would be the last one to. But, as she would learn over the years, Kara would fill that gaping hole in her heart.

"Why didn't you tell me." They stood side by side, their hands locked together sending shocks through Lena's body that she was struggling to hide.

"You just seemed happy" Kara's heart melted at the words. How this girl would sacrifice herself for Kara, something that over the years Kara noticed to be a repetitive pattern.

They stood in silence. Lena sometimes whispering memories of her brother as Kara rubbed circles into the palm of Lena's hand, softly looking at the girl. This girl who seemed all hard on the outside, but Kara knew that she was able to crack at any minute. After a bit, Lena led Kara out of the graveyard, the two seeing no desire of letting go as they walked through the streets.

"I'm sorry, you can go back if you want." Lena abruptly let go of Kara's hand, instantly causing Kara to pout.

"No, it's fine. I don't have any plans anyway. Unless you want to leave?"

"No, I want you to stay" Relief flooded through Kara, Lena smiled softly happiness bubbling inside her. The feeling vaguely unfamiliar, but something she wants to feel everyday from now on.

"Okay"  Their hands interlocked once more, taking on the streets.

"Okay"

~~~~~~~~~

Sorry I haven't updated in a while, I have a lot of school work but there is a break coming up for me so I'll try and update as frequently during that break. Until then, hope you enjoyed this chapter and continue to read and enjoy future ones!