XIII

The cell was warm, and that was the only thing about it that wasn't completely hostile. Moans and groans, shouts and protests came from other cells nearby, but Calista kept her lips sealed. Anything she said could be used against her, so she said nothing. That is, until she saw Jessa seated on the bunk at the back of the cell. Pushing herself off the metal bars at the entrance of the dirty cell, Calista rushed towards Jessa.

Her swollen eye was the first thing Calista noticed, then the split lip and the faded blood that had dribbled from her nose and been long since wiped away. However, there were no streaks where tears would have been, and instead of a pained look, there was anger in those fiery brown eyes and knitted brow. Jessa was angry, and rightfully.

She spat some blood on the ground, and Calista noticed the puddle of it that was there.

"I didn't talk, by the way. They just figured it out," Jessa growled, his voice unwavering.

"Oh, sweety," Calista placed her hands on either side of her cheeks, stroking her dark cheekbone with her thumb. "I know, I know you would never say anything. I am so, so sorry that I got you into this..."

"I'm not," Jessa growled. "I needed a push to want out, and this is it."

Calista went silent for a moment, then wrapped her arms around her friend and hugged her tight. She could feel Jessa tense underneath the hug, nervous and angry, fired up for something. Whatever was coming next.

"I have a feeling, if Ben finds out I'm in here, there will be blood," Calista smiled dangerously as she broke apart from Jessa. "And you're going to come with me when we get out of here."

Jessa finally smiled, the anger still heavy in her eyes, but now she was fierce with a goal. There was a reason to the anger, and there was a purpose to the fight she was about to put up. Knowing that there was something out there for her, it was enough to make her rise to shaky feet. Jessa and Calista walked to the cell door, peering out as guards walked along at the regular patrols.

"So how do we get out?" Jessa asked Calista.

Calista glanced at her with an arched eyebrow, then reached her long arms up to her hair. She pulled a few pins, and she had probably fifty in her hair pinning all those beautiful braids she spent hours on. Taking out one long pin that was bent at the halfway point, she straightened it out so that it was ten centimeters. Both Jessa and Calista looked either way, hearing no signs of patrols. Quickly and nimbly, Calista reached her arm through the bars and began to fumble with the high-tech lock. She was able to prod at buttons and jab the pin into slots, but it was to no avail.

"This is useless," Calista realized after five minutes, sweat beading on her forehead. She withdrew her hands and looked hopelessly at Jessa.