VI

[Banner was created by kaylpso, their work is amazing!]

                Calista stood outside of Ben's door with her back leaned against it for some time

Calista stood outside of Ben's door with her back leaned against it for some time. The guilt wrapped itself around her, knowing that she had essentially lied directly to his face, although she had not known it. All she had been told was that a big buyer was in town, and she was merely pointed in his direction and told to work her magic. She had done what she was told, assuming that he was just another rich bloke with lots of friends on Canto Bight, one of which paid for his evening.

After a few moments of collecting herself, Calista walked down the hallway confidently in her stride, though not in her heart. The soft marble floor against her bare feet was a reminder of the fact she had enjoyed the night. She liked what she did for a living, to give and receive consensual pleasure, and usually the young men were whom she actively tried to avoid. They were always brash, eager to get to business with no tact whatsoever. They thought they knew everything, they were controlling and over zealous. It was the older men, those slightly older than herself, who allowed her to take control.

In the elevator, she leaned against the wall and pushed the bottom floor. She did not live in a place as night as this hotel, though she had a well-established home here. As the elevator descended, picking up and dropping off other people throughout her decline, she thought about the trouble she was going to be in. Her employer had specifically explained that she were to win over this man, to make sure he spent a fair amount of money on her.

Like a fine wine, she was expected to be in his taste, to make him want more.

Although she was strict about repeat customers, this was a direct order from her employer.

Perhaps it was for the best, for she had made over seven thousand credits for the night.

A man stepped in and eyed her up, seeing who she was. He asked, "how much?"

Offering him a smile that dripped with honey, she replied, "I'm so sorry sir, I'm occupied for the evening."

He made a 'tsk' sound, disappointed, but turned to face the elevator doors and clasped his hands in front of him. The rest of the ride down to the ground was uneventful, and when the doors opened, Calista walked quickly through the raging casino. Even though it was long after midnight now, the place never really quieted down. She maneuvered swiftly and elegantly as she left the large building, out in the darkness of the night. The air was more brisk than it had been before, and it chilled her a bit.

Wrapping her arms around herself, she followed the path that led her to her own place. She punched the code and the door slid open, and Calista collapsed on her bed the moment she was inside. She pulled her knees up to her chest and leaned against the white walls, then ran her fingers through her long blonde hair, feeling tangles from the events of only half an hour ago now.

She had never felt guilt about what she had done before, this life that she lived did not bother her.

She heard a door open inside of her house and she rose to her feet quickly. Out of the shadows came a tall man, dressed in a black suit with a grey tie. His eyes were dark brown, piercing though, not friendly at all. He was clean shaven, and would have been handsome had Calista not known exactly whom this man was standing before her.

He was drying his hands on a towel, which he tossed aside when he was done.

"I was wondering when you would be coming home, although I wasn't expecting you this early." He raised an eyebrow suspiciously. "I got three thousand credits put into my account half an hour ago, which means that you have been purchased for the whole night."

"Naren, I can explain," Calista said, but did not look in his eyes when she spoke to him.

"Why are you home?" He asked.

"My buyer wanted me to have the night to myself. He purchased me for the night, and told me to enjoy it how I pleased," she didn't bother lying to him.

Naren pondered this for a moment, cupping his chin in his perfectly manicured hand. He still had one eyebrow arched high, and then he smiled. Having figured it out, he asked, "So he liked you enough not to want to share you, this is good."

"Who is he?" Calista asked, knowing that she wasn't supposed to know sometimes. Most of the time it was a no-name basis with her customers. This was the first time she had been pre-purchased for a client. She was his welcome gift to Canto Bight, but why? Who was he that was so rich and powerful that everyone on Canto Bight wanted him to stick around, to keep spending money.

Naren laughed, and began to approach Calista. He reached his hand up and cupped her cheek, "Don't forget, you belong to me and you don't get to ask questions."

"I can't forget."

He pouted, "Don't be upset with me, Calista, you chose this life."

She glanced down at the floor, until Naren made her look up into his striking brown eyes. She had never thought brown eyes could be threatening, and though to Ben's. Sure, he had had anger flash in them throughout the night, but it was all understandable. Otherwise, his eyes were soft, forgiving, and kind. Naren's, Naren's eyes scared her.

"I do not think he will be coming back," she whispered in defeat. It was best to admit this right away, rather than have Naren discover it the hard way. Naren's eyes narrowed in disappointment. Calista swallowed nervously, and continued. "He is not the kind to buy affection, he is different from the people who come to Canto Bight."

Naren laughed, "Do not tell me you are wooed by him."

"No," Calista replied.

"I can see it in your eyes, Calista. You cannot lie to me."

"I said no," she growled.

"You long to leave, I can see it in the aloofness that hangs in your aura. You'll never leave Canto Bight, you belong to me." Naren released her chin, pushing her head to the side as he did. He carelessly walked towards the front door, knocking over a few books from a table. They clattered to the floor, the first one was a book of other planets. He bent down to pick it up. "Don't think that just because he bought your freedom for a night that he will return to take you away from this place. I don't care how powerful he is, he cannot have my favourite Creature."

She grimaced at him, and then her expression faded into sadness when he pocketed the book.

"Good night, Calista."

Calista crumpled when he left, realizing that maybe Ben had been her only chance to ever leave Canto Bight.

And she had stepped all over him.