XVII

The first night aboard the large ship was strange to Calista; though she often went to bed with the sound of fireworks, cheering, the echo of slot machines and the clink of glasses being brought together in a societal norm, there were strange soun...

The first night aboard the large ship was strange to Calista; though she often went to bed with the sound of fireworks, cheering, the echo of slot machines and the clink of glasses being brought together in a societal norm, there were strange sounds aboard the ship that made her stay awake. The large bed in the modest room was more comfortable than her own, and she slid into it with nothing on, feeling the fresh sheets slide up against her. 

Standing beside the bed was Kylo Ren, who watched with mild fascination as she had undressed and slithered into his bed. Now he peeled off his long sleeve shirt, revealing his muscles under the harsh lighting overhead. As if he sensed her discomfort, he reached his hand towards the wall where a toggle switch was, and lowered the lighting so it was faint and calming. 

"Mood lighting," she joked, although it was difficult with the freshness of her friends death on her mind. 

"I never want for you to want," he said as he joined her in the bed. His hand snaked around her full hips and tickled the lower curve of her spine. She moaned ever so slightly, it could have gone unheard but Kylo Ren was too focused on her. "I want you to have everything you need."

She was still smiling, having a hard time keeping herself calm and reminding herself that this was not a dream, but reality. For the first time in her life she was completely free and able to look at someone in the bed that they shared, and not worry about leaving before he woke up. She didn't have to worry about income, and how much of it went to Naren.

"I have everything I need," she said, then she kissed the tip of his nose. "I wish to rest, to recover, and to start tomorrow as a new day, as a new person."

"Hopefully not too new," he said.

She laughed lightly, quietly as though someone might listen and hear her happiness then rip it away from her. "I still can't believe any of this is real."

"You said if you were free you would go far away, I'll remind you every day that you are free to go, although I would..."

"I don't want to go anywhere else. I just want to be where you are. Now that I am free, far away from Canto Bight, I just want to be wherever you are. Wherever that takes me, whatever you want me to do, I'll do it."

He tensed at those words, hearing a part of her old life in those words. 

"Kylo Ren," she whispered, as if trying out his name for the first time. "I would do anything for you."

He kissed her forehead, then wrapped his large hand around the back of her head and pulled her in close. She snuggled up against his body, their warmth radiating so much that they only needed blankets over their legs. Her perfect body was almost entirely on display, full breasts pressed against him, her eyes slowly closing for the much needed sleep she desired. He held her close, breathing in a new scent on her. He didn't want her to feel obligated to obey him, but he also felt so powerful in that moment. Somehow she managed to ground him, and at the same time she was able to make him feel as though he had full control over the galaxy. 

She would get him to where he needed to be to succeed. With her by his side, Kylo Ren felt that he could do anything.

"I would do anything for you," he told her in return, but she was fast asleep. 

Calista woke in a strange bed, with a body next her that was sprawled out with muscles on full display. She nearly jerked up and left the room, but common sense reminded her where she was and with whom; for the first time, she woke up next to someone whom she wanted to see every day. Curling back into him, she slept for another hour before she woke again, and he was gone. She flopped onto her back and smiled at the dark ceiling, lights shut off but the room not pitch black. Then, Calista got ready for the day ahead of her, a whole new world to face.

She smoothed her hands over the front of her navy blue trousers, feeling their tight fit against her muscular legs. With her hair pulled back in a messy but beautiful and full braid, Calista smiled at herself in the reflection; only one day had gone by since she left Canto Bight, but her entire world changed in that time. She shed the skin that Naren made her wear, and yet she held on to the part of herself that she always put forth. The part of herself that made Kylo Ren fall for her, the part of herself that she loved. 

Calista stepped out of the washroom and spotted the large man in her line of sight; she smiled right away, feeling a swell of joy to know she would wake up next to him every day. 

"Good morning," she said to him softly, her hands touching the walls as she walked towards him. He was fully dressed, the intimidating mask in his hands. "You were up early, it is going to take me a while to get used to that."

"You can sleep anytime, you have free range here, although I would suggest avoiding General Hux, he is..."

"A sour grape," she said, then made a face with her lips puckered and her eyes squinting. 

Kylo Ren smirked, "Something like that."

Kylo noticed what she was wearing, and cocked his head to the side to assess it. He nodded, "This look suits you."

"I haven't worn pants in years, it's very strange and yet," she swiveled her leg out to the side, "so freeing."

A silence settled over them, then Calista closed the gap between them. She placed her hand in Kylo's gloved one, rubbing her thumb over the back of his hand and smooth sweeps. "I want to do more here, more than just your companion -your partner, whatever. I want to do what you do."

His lips tightened, he didn't want her life to ever be at risk, but he promised her he would give her anything she wanted. So he nodded, "I will soon be going to Jakku, if you choose to come with me, you may not like what you see. And if you choose to leave, I will bring you anywhere in the galaxy that you want, I will leave you with credits enough to support you for many years."

"You keep thinking you're going to scare me away, Kylo. You're not the kind of man who strikes terror into my heart; remember I grew up under the watchful eye of Naren, knowing what he would turn me into from the day our parents died when I was fourteen. Men like you," she took his hand, "you put something else in my heart."