IX

They did not go to his room that night, but explored further down the beach. There was a low tide, and so they were able to walk out for a mile before touching the gentle caress of the ocean. Again, Calista had long since removed her shoes, only this time she didn't throw them into the ocean. At some point, it would begin to feel wasteful, and there was no sense in buying new shoes every other week; she wondered how often Ben would be there. How often would he take time from his busy schedule in order to visit her, she wondered.

"I have a proposition for you, and I do hope you will hear me out," Ben said as they walked along the moonlit shores.

The waves lapped at Calista's bare feet, and she would occasionally swing her right leg out and sweep the froth left behind with the little waves. As they walked along, the clouds began to roll in. They were a light grey, almost impossible to see in the dark sky above them, and went unnoticed for some time.

"Go on," Calista leaned into him, showing him affection that she wouldn't have shown to anyone else. To admit that she was smitten with Ben would be to contradict everything in her job title. But, she did not want to turn down this feeling while it lasted. It could be gone tomorrow, it could linger for years, she did not know. Either way, she was running with the feeling, even if it scared her.

"You mentioned earlier that your... employer... wanted you to win me over so to speak. Which means he -or she- knows who I am, knows that I have money, knows my influence," he began.

"He," Calista told him in a gentle voice.

"He," Ben repeated. "I presume my first few hours with you were complimentary, to hook me in."

"Yes," she replied. "In hindsight it should have been clear that you did not know."

"Bygones, Calista."

She smiled, though was still watching the waves on the shores. There was a phosphorescence glow in the waters, and it glittered green when the waves would crash against the sand and the rocks. Like liquid emerald, it was a stunning beauty.

"if you would be so inclined, I would like to -this is going to sound strange- I would like to have you to myself. Not on Canto Bight, but everywhere," he suggested, a nervousness to his voice that Calista had not heard before. This was a new realm for him, offering a Creature of the Night endless work.

But she also knew that Ben did not mean in that way; it would not be a flurry of sex, no. It was more than that, it was companionship he sought. Ben saw something in Calista that he wanted around, not because of her beauty of because of what she did for a living, but something truly within her. She understood his question without having to look too deeply into it, she knew that he was asking her to join him, wherever he would go.