ten

Neil held up his flashlight.

"It was a dark and rainy night, and this
old lady, who had a passion for jigsaw puzzles, sat by herself in her house at her table to complete a new jigsaw puzzle. But as she pieced the puzzle together, she realized, to her astonishment, that the image that was formed was her very own room. And the figure in the center of the puzzle, as she completed it, was herself. And with trembling hands, she placed the last four pieces and stared in horror at the face of a demented madman at the window. The last thing that this old lady ever heard was the sound of breaking glass."
He continued to go on reading from the book.

"Ohh..." the boys reacted. They were so over dramatic sometimes. But I loved them anyways.

"I've got one that's even better than that!" Cameron said once the story was finally over.

Charlie laughed at him, even louder than necessary. It made my smile. I knew he did it on purpose.

"I do!There's a young, married couple, and they're driving through the forest at night on a long trip. And they run out of gas, and there's a madman on the-"

" The thing with the hand-" Charlie interrupted.

"I love that story." Cameron said in awe.

"I told you that!" Charlie replied.

"You did not! I got that in camp in sixth grade!" Cameron defended.

Pitts took the book for his turn and began reading. It shut Charlie and Cameron's argument up. "In a mean abode in the shanking road,lived a man named William Bloat. Now,he had a wife, the plague of his life,who continually got his goat. And one day at dawn, with her nightshift on, he slit her bloody throat."

"You want to hear a real poem?" Charlie interrupts.

Pitts hands him the book. Charlie pushes it away.

"What, did you bring one?" Meeks asks.

"Even better," Charlie digs in his pockets.

"You memorized one?" Neil asked.

"I didn't memorize a poem. Move up." Charlie slightly pushed Neil to the side. And acts like his taking center stage.

"An original piece by Charlie Dalton!" Meeks adds.

"An original piece?" Knox adds.

Charlie finishes by pulling out a playboy magazine page. I feel my cheeks heat up. Are they this immature? I felt embarrassed being he only girl around.

The guys were distracted. Since I was sitting near the entryway. I slipped out without them seeming to notice.

The air was cold. The moonlight seemed extra bright then before. I walked outside and went around to the side of the cave. It was coated with moss and tree roots.

There was a small spot with less dirt. I sat down on the large rock.

I lifted up my hood of my robe. The cool night air was sending chills down my spine.

"Veronica?" I heard a voice.

I turned to see Knox coming outside. He was glancing around for me.

Then he spotted me. He came over and sat beside me.

Knox has always been more mature for his age. Sometimes it feels like he's older. Especially near some of his friends.

"Hey sis," He smiled.

"Hey."

"Sorry about them. There to immature sometimes, I know you don't like that."

"It's okay Knox. And you don't have to apologize for them,"

He shrugged. "Yeah I know. But, they're my friends and I want you to feel safe."

"Trust me I am." I smiled.

"Plus I've got you being a protective brother," I nudged his shoulder.

He looked up at the stars and smile. "Yep. Thats me. Best bother ever!"

I giggled.

"So do you like school?" He asked.

"Yeah. It's different, but I like it a lot. I feel like even though I'm completely different, gender wise. I fit right in."

"Yeah I think you do too. That's a good thing. Plus, we can spend any free time together, catching up like this."

He went on.

"Because we never could be that close before. You went to one school and I went to another. Very far apart. I'm glad we at least have each other here"

"Me too." I replied. I thought about school and my childhood. Knox and I had a lot of good memories and bad.

The bad ones mainly consisted of bad schooling and never seeing each other.

Our parents didn't care that much that we were separated. As long as we got education, that's all they seemed to care about.

I looked at the bright moon. Knox put his arm around my shoulder and messed up my hair. Of course in a brotherly way.

I heard a loud banging. It came from the entrance of the cave.

"Then I saw the Congo creeping through the black, cutting through the forest with a golden track. Then I saw the Congo creeping through the black, cutting through the forest with a golden track." The boys chanted as they exited the cave.

Knox got up and joined in. I followed him. I got in the mix of my friends.

It was a good night. I was happy.

That's all that seemed to matter in the moment.