twenty

"Creak. He started walking around towards my left. Creak. Creak. "Assume the position, Mr. Dalton."." Charlie went on as we crowded around him. All the boys wanted to hear what went on. I didn't think he should be using it for laughs but I was glad he was still at school and not kicked out. I sat on the arm of Charlie's chair. He hit the bongos as he talked his story up.

The door creaked opened and I looked up to see Keating. A few of the boys jumped up.

He came over towards us, seemed more toward Charlie.

He waved his hand as the boys got up, "It's all right, gentlemen."

Charlie stopped playing, "Mr. Keating."

"Mr. Dalton. That was a pretty lame stunt you pulled today."

Charlie sat up quick, "You're siding with Mr. Nolan? What about Carpe diem and sucking all the
marrow out of life and all that?"

He came closer, "Sucking the marrow out of life doesn't mean choking on the bone. Sure there's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for."

"But I thought you'd like that." No one else interrupted the conversation.

"No. You being expelled from school is not daring to me. It's stupid, 'cause you'll miss some golden opportunities."

"Yeah. Like what?" He sat the bongos down.

"Like, if nothing else, the opportunity to attend my classes. Got it, Ace?"

"Aye, aye, Captain." He smiled.

Keating started to leave, "Keep your head about you. That goes for the lot of you."

I nodded and a few of the boys answered back, "Yes, Captain."

Mr Keating walked towards the door, mumbling so we could all hear. "Phone call from God.
If it had been collect, it wouldn't been daring."

With that we all quietly started laughing and Charlie picked up his bongos again. Going on to tell another story.

+

After hanging out for a few hours people started going to their rooms it was almost lights out.

I got up, only Charlie, Neil, Knox, Todd and I were left. "I think I'm gonna head to bed."

"Okay goodnight," Charlie looked up.

"Goodnight." Neil smiled.

"Goodnight, don't let the bed bugs bite." Knox grinned and I rustled his hair as I walked by.

I walked out the door and heard footsteps behind me. I turned to see Todd. "You going to bed too?"

He finally caught up with me and we walked beside each other now. "Yeah plus I wanted to talk to you."

I turned. "What's up?"

"Well I was just wondering if you and Neil have talked about you guys, I mean you both obviously have feelings. He talks about you all the time. He even writes letters and stuff about you. I catch him at night. I only know it's about you because he stares off into a day dream and it's the same way he looks at you."

I was at loss for words. "I mean we have our moments but we haven't said anything else. I guess were kinda enjoying things as they happen. Does he really do that?" We were almost to our rooms.

"Yes. Veronica he loves you. Don't rush it I just can tell you both are like in love but haven't done anything about it.
I told him to talk to you but he says it's never the right time."

I stop at my door. "I gues-," he cuts me off.

"You love him right?"

"Of course." I smiled.

"Just talk to him," he smiled and he turns to leave, "Goodnight Veronica."

I smile as he turns to his room. "Goodnight."

I open my door and shut it behind me. I take a seat on the bed. I knew I needed to talk to him soon. I had no idea what to say, but I knew the words would come out right when the time came. I was so comfortable around Neil.

I get ready for bed. I stare out the window thinking of what on earth to say to him. I never really had the time to have a deep conversation with him as he's been busy with the play. It's coming to an end, I knew I needed to tell him.

+