seventeen

We were all standing in the court yard. Keating had Knox, Pitts and Cameron walking in a line around.

"No grades at stake, gentlemen. Just take a stroll."

I crossed my arms thinking about why Keating had the boys doing this. I glanced over and Neil was a few boys down. He was looking at me. When we made eye contact he looked away and blushed. I looked back down.

My thoughts were interrupted by Charlie who was beside me. "So when did that happen?"

I looked over to him. "What are you talking about?" I figured he must have seen Neil and I looking at each other.

"Are you and Neil together now? Does Knox know?"
He tried whispering and looking straight ahead so we wouldn't get caught talking during the lesson.

"We're not together Charlie. I don't know what it is, honestly. Knox has his own problems and when I figure out what it is, I'll tell him." I was now wondering what even was it? We both had feelings but we didn't do anything. I knew I was falling in love with him. If we spent more alone time maybe it would be different but I didn't wanna rush it.

The boys started clapping at the pace the boys were walking I joined in.

Mr Keating went on before Charlie could reply. "There it is. Thank you, gentlemen. If you noticed, everyone started off with their own stride, their own pace. Mr. Pitts, taking his time. He knew he'll get there one day. Mr. Cameron, you could see him thinking, "Is this right? It might be right. It might be right. I know that. Maybe not. I don't know." Mr. Overstreet, driven by deeper force. Yes. We know that. All right. Now, I didn't bring them up here to ridicule them."

I laughed and Charlie leaned over, "Well keep in mind if you went for your brothers best friend, you wouldn't have to hide it." I couldn't believe Charlie's words. He's never acted selfish like that.

Keating went on, "I brought them up here to illustrate the point of conformity: the difficulty in maintaining your own beliefs in the face of others. Now, those of you -- I see the look in your eyes like, "I would've walked differently." Well, ask yourselves why you were clapping. Now, we all have a great need for acceptance. But you must trust that your beliefs are unique, your own, even though others may think them odd or unpopular, even though the herd may go, "That's baaaaad." Robert Frost said, "Two roads diverged in a wood and I, I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." Now, I want you to find your own walk right now. Your own way of striding, pacing. Any direction. Anything you want. Whether it's proud, whether it's silly, anything. The courtyard is yours."

I looked up at Charlie and he was backing up to not walk. He held a smirk on his face.
I rolled my eyes at him. I walked to find Neil and walk with him.

"You don't have to perform. Just make it for yourself. Mr. Dalton? You be joining us?" I turned at his words.

"Exercising the right not to walk."

"Thank you, Mr. Dalton. You just illustrated the point. Swim against the stream."

I started giggling at how Charlie almost got away with it every time.

+

I walked back into my room, I went to the library to study, I just read my book and relaxed. Everyone was busy or not in their rooms. I had no idea where they were. I knew Neil had play practice.

I put my books away and it was getting late. I figured I would get a shower. I went to the bathroom, I looked in the mirror. I flipped my hair around and looked at my features. My light eyes looked as if they were glowing in the light. My skin also looked as if it was glowing. I was happy.

I thought about it, maybe my happiness was making me feel better. I turned around and turned on the shower. I waited as it needed to warm up. I was about to undress when I heard a knock at the door.

I fixed my shirt and flipped my hair, as I opened the door. Todd was standing there. Holding a box in his hands.

"Hey!" I smiled I was happy to see one of my friends.

"Hey. Uh- for my birthday, my parents got me the same desk set. Instead of just throwing it out I wanted you to have it. You said you liked mine." He smiled. He was so sweet.

"Todd, it's your birthday?" He nodded. I pulled him in the room, "why didn't you say anything!"
He sat the set on my desk.

"I don't like attention." I pulled him in for a tight hug. He hugged me even tighter back.

"Thank you Todd." We still held the embrace. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

We pulled away and he smiled. "Of course Veronica, me too."

I gave him a serious look, "and happy birthday!" I messed up his hair.

"Thank you" He laughed and smiled.

"Wait one second." I went over to my nightstand drawer. My father gave me a pin when I was younger. It was a book and it represented poetry. My father always praised mine and after I met Todd I knew he deserved it. I pulled it out and walked over to him.

I held out my hand. "Your birthday present." He took it out of my hands and studied it. "For the best poet I know."
I smiled and put my hands behind my back waiting for his reaction.

"Wow thank you. I love it."

He put it in his pocket. He pulled me in another hug. "Thank you Veronica, for being a great friend too."

I smiled. "Thank you too, Todd."

"I'll always be here for you."

I smiled and pulled away. He noticed the water was still running. "Oh I'm sorry. I'll talk to you later."

I laughed. "It's okay, that sounds good. Goodnight."

He walked out, "goodnight!"

As I shut the door I saw him studying the pin in his hands. I smiled and got ready for bed.

+