Sticks & Stones

Cris's Pov

I found Alex crying in the on-call room. Alex has been barely holding on. I heard that they found Mer. I was so relieved. But hearing that she had the baby. I was heart broken. When I heard that her labs came back. I looked at her charts. It stated she had no prenatal care. The baby was less than a pound. Alex is pediatric surgeon. I didn't think having Alex working on the baby would work. He was carried to full term. But didn't weigh much. I tried to hide my tears. I opened the door. Alex sits up. He's eyes were raw.

"Alex, Meredith got pregnant. The baby is in critical condition. Her labs came back. She didn't get any prenatal care. The baby is less than a pound. For being carried to full term. That's not a good sign. She has bruises all over body, Alex. Her stomach is scarred" I explained in a quwery tone as I cried.

"So you want me operate"? He asked shaking.

"Alex that's not what I'm asking" I replied.

"Then what are you asking"? He questioned.

I took a deep breath, before spoke again.

"Alex the baby is not going to make it. And honestly I don't think she even wants that bastard's baby" I state.

Alex stayed quiet.

"Alex, I don't think Mer's going to come back this time" I choke on my tears.

"I'm scared to lose her" He cried.

"Me too Alex" I sighed.

"Cris stay strong" He said.

I was about to respond when someone came into the room with a pained expression.

Owen leads us to her room. She looked so peaceful. She looked the same besides a huge hand print on her cheek. Owen explained her condition. Amelia came into the room.

"Alex there's a small chance of her waking up. But without brain damage is very unlikely. I'm so so sorry, Alex. I know you love her. And I also know this extremely diffcult. You haven't seen her a year. And now she's here. You just want her to wake up and tell you love her" Amy explained as her eyes glisten.

Alex cleared his throat. "So your telling me that Meredith is most likely not going to wake up"? He asked painfully.

"Yes Alex. I'm so sorry, Alex. I really am sorry" Amy said with sympathy.

"Oh god. No she has to wake up"! He cried.

Amy leaves along with Owen. She start to break down. I stayed there in the dead silent room. The only thing you could hear was Alex's cries. Jackson walks in. I didn't hear the conversation. I fell asleep. I was having a great dream.

Dream

Mer and I were sitting in my bedroom. We were laughing. I was so happy. Mer walks into the bathroom. Two minutes later she walks out all panicked.

"Mer what does it say"? I asked her worried.

"It's positive. How I'm going tell Alex"? She asked.

"Tell me what"? Alex asked.

"Alex I'm pregnant" Mer says.

"Your pregnant"? He asked.

"Yes Alex I'm pregnant. I mean like with a baby. Not a watermelon" Mer giggled.

"I meant baby not watermelon" Alex grumbled.

"Well evil spawn needs to learn how to spell baby. How the hell did you get watermelon out of baby" I laughed.

"Cristina"! Mer snapped.

"Sorry" I apologized.

"So let's go back to you being pregnant" Alex said.