-- Chapter 15 -- Every Move You Make

~ Josh's POV ~

"Hey Xena, wanna come for a walk?" I asked, my hands shaking profusely.

"Sure," She smiled at me with her beautiful warm chocolate eyes, making my stomach twist in knots, and my hands clam up.

"Have fun," Jenna winked at me and then burst out laughing, whispering things to Tyler. I rolled my eyes, knowing Tyler had spilled the details to Jenna.

We sauntered out of the house and into the crisp evening air, turning down onto the sidewalk towards the park. Xena hugged my jumper close to her, as if it would be blown off her.

She'll never want you.

Yeah, you're a worthless shit.

It's gonna end up like it did with Debby.

That wasn't me.

We may have given you you the thoughts, but you're guilty of your own actions.

Why did you make me do it?

We didn't. We just gave you a solution to the problem.

She wasn't a problem.

To us she was. She was a threat.

Yeah, you know what she almost did.

It was for the better! She was trying to help.

Help who?

You don't need help.

Yeah, sure. Well we got in anyway, didn't we.

Someone is getting angry.

Yeah, we would've thought you would've listened to us.

I mean considering now you know just what we're capable of.

Shut up.

Ohhhhh.

Boo hoo.

Just wait until I start taking my meds again, I wanna get better. I hate you.

"What's up?" Xena looked at me, curiosity radiating off her eyes.

"Hmm?" I brought myself back to reality

"You wanted to talk,"

"Well," I began, but couldn't finish. Anxiety yanked my tongue back inside my mouth.

"You don't have to say anything right now," She inhaled the crisp air, breathing out dejectedly.

For a little while, we strolled in a comfortable silence until I felt relaxed enough to speak up.

"Xena?" I asked, twiddling my thumbs nervously.

"Yeah?" She looked over at me, smiling widely. She was quite tall; it was nice to look across at her rather than down at her. "I was sorta wondering if you maybe wanted to go out with me? I mean if you want you don't have to it's just, like I really want you to be my girlfriend. I mean I know you may not be ready and I don't know, I just really like you," I exhaled deeply, like I had just held a lifetime of breath to say all that.

Why, Josh?

Don't expect her to say yes.

What if she's like Debby?