-- Chapter 17 -- Fun Sponge

i'm back! i know it's only been 4 months. it's not my best but i just feel lost in this story

3rd Person POV

Xena tiredly awoke, nestled amongst her soft sheets as if it were a cocoon. She smiled gently to herself, the first time in a long time she had woken up and felt good. She ripped open the curtains, revealing rooftops, trees, birds and power lines. Above was a grey and splotchy sky, looking as if the clouds would open up and drop buckets of water below onto the Columbus citizens at any given time. Josh moaned, not ready to get up.

She carried her tired body downstairs and made herself some coffee, Junior trailing behind her waiting for some food.

Things that morning had changed; she felt different. Although it was different, she felt better. It was as if the years of constant treatments and promises made by doctors and therapists was finally kicking into gear, something she had been waiting for. The last few years had been beyond tough, Xena dragging what little hope her mental health was offering along the ground just to get through.

She sat by the living room window in the small nook that her and Jenna had decorated with pillows. She was unsure whether Tyler had stayed here last night, so she went to fetch her phone. On the way upstairs, she fed their pets and finally made herself some cereal. Not too long after Xena had made a small space for herself with a book, her coffee and food by the window, her phone buzzed, startling her.

Expecting a message from Jenna, her screen instead showed it was Josh. When her eyes scanned over the name, her stomach tied itself up and a smile appeared on her fair complexion. She felt a giggle bubble up for no other reason than the fact that Josh had texted her. These feelings were oddly new to her, but she liked them.

Josh: did you wanna go out today <3

Xena took no time in replying.

Xena: yes. come downstairs <3

Josh: more sleep babe sorry heheh

Xena: ok lazybones xo

Josh: kisses

Excited, she snickered and deviated back to her book. Her mind was wandering to different places, unable to focus on the words and syllables. She read the same sentence over and over again accidentally, making her frown and giggle softly. She felt particularly giddy that morning, a newfound sense of belonging and normality hitting her like a wave.

Time went quickly, the hours passing as if someone had snapped their fingers. Xena had been so excited and impatient, she threw on and off outfits trying to figure out what she wanted to wear that day. Her usually neat room had clothes and shoes scattered across the ground as if someone had gone through her wardrobe. She finally settled on simple black jeans and a nice shirt. It was the safest bet to look casual, neat and pretty. She threw her hair up into space buns and put some light makeup on. Her dark circles still shone through her concealer which irritated her, but she tried to pay no mind. She had only a little time before Josh came back. He'd gone home to get a change of clothes and freshen up. He had a toothbrush here already, and his mom's house had one for her too.

Josh was almost on the hour, approaching the door not a minute short or long of twelve. He bounded up to the door, his fist hovering above the wood. He pressed a bouquet of Dahlias behind his back firmly, almost squeezing the stems until they wilted.

Xena promptly opened the door, a wide white grin spread across her rosy cheeks. Josh lurched forward, hugging her with his one arm securely, earning a chuckle. He stepped back, the small wordless exchange feeling sweeter than any conversation. He handed her the flowers silently as Xena took them graciously.