-- Chapter 20 -- Time to Say Goodbye

3rd Person POV

It was a foggy and cold winter's night, darkness enveloping Columbus. Everyone was fast asleep except for one particularly damaged soul. He drifted in and out of slumber, restlessly tossing and turning. It had been five weeks since her abduction. He hated the police for doing so little. Well, they were trying, but for his liking, not hard enough. The investigation was ongoing to locate her whereabouts considering they'd arrested that malevolent boy around a week ago.

Everything they'd been through, shaped them, even with Jenna and Tyler. They had all become as tight as anything and they were like a family. Everyone was so happy. Everything was so good but he should've known, not all good things last. He hated himself for believing nothing bad involving him would ever happen again.

Every night she would tell him "You know, before I met you I used to say I wanna die before I'm old but now, because of you, I might think twice."

He had always loved it when she said that to him, it made his heart melt and his stomach fill with air. She had no clue that he had put that lyric in that song. He loved being the one that made her the happiest. Not only did he fulfil her happiness, she also helped him get more help. He never had because he was just so used to them and so frightened to do anything about it but she helped him find his bravery. To start taking his medication again. To get better.

Everything about that night and morning haunted his dreams. He remembered going to sleep next to her, saying how much he loved her but when he woke up, she was gone. He had forgotten about it all.

When she never showed to pick him up, he knew immediately something was wrong.

He wanted to live and get through Christmas without tainting such a nice holiday. Her favorite holiday, in fact. They both never wanted to put a bad name to Christmas, it was the best part of the year. He was glad they both shared that, that's what made it so special.

The court date was for the following week after Christmas, where the little shit would tell them where he kept her and he could finally be reunited with his queen.

She was all alone, probably panicking and hungry and there was nothing he could do to help. He lay sleepless and helpless, drowning in a deep and lonely ocean of his guilt.

He draped his arm over the other side of the bed, but his arm slapped nothing but the frigid comforter. That had been a bad habit he had started to develop. Whenever he felt lost or alone, he'd reach his hand out to cuddle her close to him, but she wasn't there.

Alas, all he felt were the cold sheets where they used to have late night conversations about anything and everything and where they had talked about their dream wedding which was going to be a soon reality. He always thought about the really special times that strengthened their bond.

He hoped that soon when he draped his hand across the bed, she'd actually be there.

All he wanted was to hear her infectious laugh, see her rare gorgeous smile, hear her angelic voice sing or just say his name with her raspy morning voice one more time.

He lightly started humming to himself "Everything I've ever made, is dead now, inside the grave."

Everything he made with her, their life, music, memories, love; everything was gone.

He missed sleep, his dearly departed friend who had only left a few weeks ago. He got about two hours sleep every night but it was never enough for him to have the energy to do anything. Then again, what was the point of doing anything anyway?