17:Bricks aint shit

Jamiya

I've never understood how nerve wrecking getting a nursery together would be until now. Malo is ready to pop any day now and we still haven't finished our son's room or given him a name.

Sometimes I feel like I'm more worried about making sure we're ready than Malo is. It's like she doesn't even give a fuck and she's the one who's pregnant. She's suppose to be doing that nesting shit.

As I'm putting up lion king stickers in the nursery, Malo walks in and sits down on in the rocking chair. "Hey babe." She smiles at me.

"I'm almost done in here. I put up the maternity pictures and hung up all the clothes." I tell her.

"I wanna name him Martinez." Malo says.

"No." I shake my head. "Why would you want that?"

"Martinez Sullivan. That way he has a part of you and a part of me in his name."

"Babe, that's real sweet, but Martinez is not a cute name."

"Well, until you find something to change my mind imma keep calling him Martinez." She claims.

I roll my eyes and continue finishing the nursery. I'll be damn if my son comes home to an unfinished room.

*
*
*

Malo kisses my cheek and holds my hand as we walk into the ballroom. Tonight is one of those events that's only big shot callers get invited to, so of course Malo and West got an invite.

"It feel good to be alive again." West laughs.

"Stop joking like that. It wasn't funny." Leti pouts.

"I'm sorry wifey." West says as she kisses Leti. "And I'm sorry son." West kisses Leti's belly.

"My nephew does not accept your apology." I tell her. She flips me off and sticks her tongue out at me. "That's not very nice."

"C'mon let's go mingle." Malo says.

I hate these events. All these thugs are ruthless killers, they're nothing like my baby. Malo only kills when it is absolutely necessary.

"We're actually going to hang out over there." I say as I pull Leti off to the side with me.

"Thank god you did that. I did not want to make nice with nobody here." Leti says.

"Not even your father?"

Leti and I turn around and Calvin is smiling at us. "Why are you here?" Leti demands.

"You're pregnant?" He asks. "How far along?"

"Not that it's any of your business, but I'm a healthy seventeen weeks."

"You should be getting home soon. Both of you." He smirks and walks away. What the fuck was that about?

"That was weird." I tell Leti. She nods and we make our way back over to Malo and West.

"I'm tired, lets go home." Leti says.

"Me too." Malo sighs.

"Damn y'all pregnant women always tired." West says.

We start heading for the exit when a loud booming noise goes off and the building starts to shake. People start screaming and my ears start ringing.

Pieces of concrete start falling from the ceiling. I take one step towards Malo and some concrete falls right in front of me. I look up just as another piece is falling and knocks me to the ground. The noise is slowly drowned out as I fall into the sweet dark abyss.

*
*
*
West

"Yaya!" Leti screams as she hits the concrete wall blocking us from her sister.

"Leti, don't hit that. You can make the building collapse more." I warn her.

"Baby can you hear us?!" Malo yells. No answer.

"What if she's hurt? How are we going to get to her?" Leti panics. I pull her into me and rub her back.

"Don't think like that. We are all getting out of her safely." I promise her.

She nods her head and kisses me. I glance around and we are surrounded by nothing, but pieces of the building. Then I hear a splashing sound.

I snap my head towards the source of the sound and see Malo hunched over, clutching her stomach. "Oh shit!" I say.

"No, no this can't happen right now." Malo panics. "We gotta get to Yaya."

"Don't panic. Don't panic." I tell her.

"Just lay down." Let says.

Malo gets down on the ground and rubs her stomach. She scrunches u her face in pain and grunts really loudly.

"We gotta take your pants off." I tell her.

"What? Nigga, don't touch me." She demands.

"She's right." Leti says. "You're in labor, Malo."

"I'm not having this baby without Yaya." Malo says stubbornly before letting out another grunt.

"Well, you don't have a choice nigga." I tell her as I start taking off her pants.

"Cute boxers." I tease her as I look at her spongebob boxers.

"It's not the time." Leti demands.

I push Malo's legs further open and stare at the head coming out of her cooch in horror. Leti holds Malo's hand and tells her to push. I grab the baby as he comes out and places him on Malo's chest.

"He's beautiful." Malo cries.

The baby cries and Malo kisses him. I delivered a baby. A fucking baby. I look at Leti and she smiles at me.

"Is someone back there?!" A manly voice yells. "We are here to rescue you!"

"Yes! We're right here! We have a baby!" I scream.

"Everybody needs to stand back!" The voice tells us.

Leti and I help Malo scoot away from the wall as the wall begins to break down. Once enough room is made, a man climbs through from the same area that Yaya was in.

"My sister was right there. Is she okay?" Leti asks.

"Ma'am stay calm. Let's just get you all out of here safely. The exit is only a few feet away." The man says.

"Take her and the baby first." Leti says pointing at Malo. The man nods and helps Malo to her feet.

"You guys follow closely." The man tells us.

The man guides Malo to the exit and Leti and I follow. I smile as I see the exit doors. A group of paramedics rush to Malo and her baby and put them on the gurney.

As Leti walks through the exit a brick falls and lands right on her head. Leti tumbles down the slanted area too fast for me to even comprehend what has just happened.

I run to her and put her head in my lap. "Leti." I say. "Baby, wake up! We made it out! Wake up!"