22: Memory

Malo

I run as fast as I can down the hall and into Jamiya's room. Her bed is just sitting there, empty.

Dr.Zelmer walks in with a sad look on his face like he's the one who's lost someone. "Where the hell is she?"

"Ms.Sullivan, we've looked all over the hospital and there is no sign of her." He sighs.

"Where the fuck is she?!" I scream at him. Leti and West finally make it to the room and stare at me like I'm crazy.

"We're gonna find her." West says.

"I just don't understand how she could be missing." Leti tells the doctor. "Did she walk out of here?"

"I don't know." The dumb ass doctor claims.

"What the fuck do you mean, you don't know? It's your fucking job!" I scream.

"Malo, chill." West says.

"Did you even look at the security cameras. I know y'all have them." Leti demands.

The doctor shakes his head and Leti pushes him and makes him fall on his ass. "Will y'all chill out." West demands.

"Show us the fucking cameras." I demand.

The doctor stands up and shakes his head. "I'm sorry, but that's against hospital policy."

I pull out my gun and point it at his head. "Show us the fucking tapes or I'll blow your brains out."

"Right this way." I knew he'd see it my way.

*
*
*

All I see are nurses and doctors going in and out of Yaya's room since I left her. Nothing seems out of the ordinary until I see a male nurse with a tattoo on his right arm.

"Who's that?" I ask and point at the screen.

"I don't know. There isn't any male nurses on schedule to care for Jamiya." Dr.Zelmer says.

"Zoom in." Leti says.

Dr.Zelmer zooms in on the video and we can see clearly that the tattoo says C.T.

"That's my brother." Leti says. "That's Mina and Calvin's son. He's suppose to be locked up."

"Where does he live?" West Asks.

"I haven't spoken to him in two years. I don't know."

"Where does your dad live?" I ask her.

"I don't remember. I haven't been there since I was a kid."

"Call him." I demand.

"What?"

"You heard me." I sass her.

"Call him, baby." West tells her. "He'll pick up."

*
*
*

Jamiya

I open my eyes and see some ugly ass flower wallpaper. I sit up and glance around the room. There are stuffed animals and pictures of my family taped to the mirror.

Where the hell am I? This room looks familiar, but I can't figure out why.

"Hey cuz."

"Little Calvin?" I ask him. "Aren't you in jail? What's going on?"

"I got out a few weeks ago." He shrugs.

"Where am I?"

"This is my dad's house. You're in Leti's room. She'll be here later." He says. "How do you feel?"

"Lost." I admit. "What's going on?"

"I'll explain everything later. You hungry? The family downstairs." He says.

I nod and get out of the bed. I stumble a bit and he catches me. "You should be more careful."

"Why do I feel like this? My legs feel like jello."

"I told you stop all that drinking." He chuckles and helps me downstairs. My dad, my brothers, and Calvin are sitting in the living room watching football and my mom and aunt Mina are setting the table for dinner.

"Why are we at Calvin's house?" I ask as little Calvin helps me into a chair.

"We are celebrating. Your aunt Mina and Calvin are back together and our family is almost whole again." Mama explains.

"That's so weird." I tell her. "Leti's aunt is with her dad."

"Actually, sweetheart." Mama pauses and steps towards me. She bends down and kisses my forehead. "Mina is actually Leti's biological mother. I raised her because your aunty had a drug problem."

"What? Why didn't you tell me?"

"I did, hun. I did tell you, but you and Leti were so mad that you drove off and got into a really bad car accident."

"Am I okay? Is Leti okay?" I wonder.

"Yeah, you're both fine now. Once Leti gets here we are going to leave to our new home." Mama smiles.

"New home?"

"Yes, now that Little Calvin is out of Jail and you and Leti are well, we are going to all be a family again."