Challenges of Pregnancy

Everyday that the next month passed, Vitani's womb only became more and more swollen. That was no easy process. It resulted in mood swings, one day she would sleep all day, and another she followed Kopa and begged for affection. The bigger the cubs grew, the bigger her worries grew.

A lioness that grew up with Vitani saw her pace and mumble. She got up and flicked her bangs out of her face, "Vitani.." Ayisha whispered in a calm soothing voice. "Oh hey Ayisha." Vitani peeped. "What's wrong? You can talk to me." She smiled to comfort her friend. "Oh I'm just scared. I've never been pregnant before, what if I'm not a good mother? I can't hunt, I can't climb a tree if I feel vulnerable! I'm so lost!" Vitani waved her head around aimlessly. "I'm sure you'll be a great mom. And-" Ayisha was called to hunt. "We can talk later." She whispered and climbed out the cave.

"Oh! This is hopeless!" Vitani cried. "The stress isn't good for you Tani." Nala approached from the side. "Your majesty! Oh, um, uh.. excuse my weakness." Vitani bowed, another habit that Zira gave her. "Sweetie, you're my daughter now. You don't need to call me by my title. You could say Nala, or even mom." Nala assured her.

"Thank you." Vitani sat down. "Come, let's talk. I've had two cubs, I can help you." Nala invited Vitani on a walk to stretch her legs. As the walk got to quieter places, they began talking. "Tell me everything. All your worries, I'm here for you." Nala invited as they walked past a gentle stream. "Well, it's just that.. I'm scared. What if I die giving birth?" Vitani sighed to try and relax. "Just remember to breathe through your mouth so the babies still have enough air. Don't waste your breathe on screaming." Nala warned. Vitani nodded, she was already starting to feel good.

"What if I'm not a good mom? What if they die because of me? What if! What if!" Vitani panicked. "I know what it's like to worry for your cub, and I know how it feels to lose a cub you love. Just let your instincts guide you, you're a mother by then. You know what to do on the inside. Now lie down before you explode." Vitani lay down beside Nala. "I can't even go on a five minute walk! This is a nightmare!" Vitani groaned, she let her stomach bask in the sun.

"Heh.. It's not getting any better from here." Nala smiled tauntingly.