Chapter 10

The day went by very slowly. Timberstar had called several cats into his den for questioning, including Wasppaw. But, for some reason, Reedfur wasn't called in. It made me so angry that Wasppaw was so quickly accused of something that I was sure he didn't do.
    I stalked over to Timberstar to do some of my own questioning.                        
    "Timberstar, may I speak with you please?" I meowed.
He looked at me and smiled.
    "Sure!" He mewed all bubbly. It annoyed me that he acted like he was so innocent.
I snarled slightly, but he didn't notice.
    "So, what do you need?" He asked.
I looked into his eyes, looking for the slight hint of knowledge. Knowledge of what had happened for the past afternoon. But there was nothing. Just the kind, wise eyes of my leader.
    "Do... do you think it was Wasppaw? Do you think that he did that to Cloudpaw?" I asked.
He looked at me with the same look that I had given him, looking for that knowledge of something. He shook his head.
    "I really don't know." He mewed.
I looked into his eyes once again but saw only honesty. He was telling the truth.
    "Timberstar, I am sure that Wasppaw didn't do it. He, I'm sure, would never do something like that." I meowed.
He looked up towards the sky.
    "How can you be so sure?" He asked looking back at me with a raised eyebrow.
    "He... well, when I was running from the flood, he tried to save me. And I don't think that after trying to save me, he would try to kill my sister." I meowed.
He nodded.
    Suddenly, I heard screams and cries. Just then, cats came running into camp. The evening patrol cats were scratched and bleeding. They were carrying a limp, silver tabby she cat.
    "Mother!" I cried.
I ran to her and dug my nose into her fur. She was cold and smelled of blood.
    I looked up at Bramblefur, the cat who was carrying her. He shook his head and laid Mistystream at the middle of camp. At that time, Smokepaw came running up, with Cloudpaw leaning against his side.
    They joined me and started crying into her fur. Her blue eyes were pale and blank. She had a deep gash in her  throat and scratches and bites all over her soft pelt. I would never forget the soft voice and love of my mother. But now she was gone, covered in blood and mats.
    Timberstar padded up.
"What happened?" He demanded.
Stormpelt answered.
"FireClan, they sent a patrol to steal our prey and herbs. When we caught them, we realized that it was a trap. We were ambushed as more FireClan warriors came running out of hiding. We drove them off, but we lost Mistystream in the process." He rasped.
"Which cat killed her?" Timberstar asked.
The tired tom looked at our leader for a second.
"It was your sister, Timberstar. Smokeytail killed her." He responded wryly.
Just then, Shadefur came running up.
"Mistystream, no!" He cried.
    "We will honor her forever. We shall mourn her tonight and the elders will burry her in the morning." Timberstar meowed sorrowfully to my father.
For the first time, I saw sadness and sorrow in all of the cat's faces. They had lost a cat that they cared about, and she was never coming back. Slowly, the clan gathered around my mother. They all whispered their goodbyes and respects. And soon, we all went to our dens for the night.
    When I awoke the next morning, I felt sick. As I wobbled out of the den, I realized that Mistystream had already been burried. I was never to see my mother's body again. During the horror of my mother being brought back to camp, I went into shock and didn't really understand what was going on. As I went to the blood stain area where they had laid my mother, I started crying again. This time though, it wasn't the soft tears that had fallen the day before. I had started yowling as tears constantly streamed down my face. I had finally processed the whole event. Some cats had attacked the patrol, and one of them by the name of Smokeytail had killed my mother.
I had lost my mother forever.
And I would never forget it.