Chapter 17

When the sun started rising, I padded back down the hill. It had been a long night, and I was ready for some sleep. It had been really awkward that night, and I was the only one who didn't shoot Waspclaw a glare every five seconds. He padded down to join me, and we walked to the back of camp to talk.
"Yesterday, why did you say all those things?" I asked.
He wouldn't meet my gaze. Instead he just stared at his paws. I had to ask him.
"Waspclaw, I won't tell anybody, but you have to tell me the truth." I started.
He finally looked up at me.
"Did you attack my sister?" I finished.
I waited for him to hiss and hate me forever. But his eyes were filled with guilt.
"Flamepelt, I did not attempt to murder your sister. But I know who did." He said shakily.
Good, he trusted me.
"Who?" I asked.
But he just shook his head. I saw a tear fall from his face onto the sand.
"I... I can't say. And I can't tell you why not either. I... it isn't a very believable alibi, but you just have to trust me, ok?" He meowed finally.
Then he turned away toward the Warrior den. I sat there for a few moments, thinking. Could I trust him? Then the prophecy came rushing back.
"Darkness and destruction will descend..."
Was Waspclaw that darkness? He was right, his alibi wasn't very provable. He was out of camp when it happened, and he can't tell me who actually did it, and he seemed really guilty. He was hiding something, but was it the attempt to murder my sister? These thoughts clouded my mind as I padded to the fresh kill pile. When I got there I had pulled out a mouse and ate it quickly. Then I padded to my littermates who were sharing a rabbit.
"Good morning." I said cheerily.
But they just glared at me.
"What's wrong?" I asked, shocked at their faces.
They looked at each other and answered.
"We saw you talking with that traitor." Cloudbreeze hissed.
I was taken aback by their coldness.
"How could you talk to him after he attacked our sister and humiliated our leader at our ceremony like that? Are you a traitor too?" Smokepelt chimed in.
I was speechless. Tears welled up in my eyes. I ran towards the camp entrance, my littermates yelling after me.
"Why don't you go and cry to your traitor friend!" Yowled Smokepelt.
"And while your at it, just go and become a kittypet or something. We don't appreciate traitors here." Called Cloudbreeze.
Waspclaw came walking out of the Warrior den as I got to the hill.
"Flamepelt?" He meowed.
But I just kept running. I sped up the hill and headed toward the river. When I got their, I sat down at the edge of the beach and let the tears roll down. I looked at my reflection, rippling as my tears fell. Then I noticed Waspclaw reflection,
"You ok?" He asked.
I looked away, but he just sat down and rapped his tail around me. I felt my face getting hot with him that close. He was here to comfort me, and it was working. I rested my head on his shoulder and purred. He licked my ear.
"They called you a traitor. And since I was talking to you, they think that I am a traitor too." I whispered.
He didn't reply, but I felt him flinch at the word "traitor".
"Waspclaw?" I meowed.
He looked at me.
"What?" He replied.
I thought about my sentence for a while, then I realized that there was only one way to say what I had to say.
"Waspclaw, I..." I started.
Suddenly, there was a loud rustle in the bushes.