Chapter 2

"Flamekit, wake up, Timberstar is doing the ceremony!" I heard Cloudkit meow.
Ceremony? Timberstar? Oh yeah! I was six moons old at the time, and so were my litter mates, and we were becoming apprentices! I jumped up and shook Mistystream awake.
    "Mom! We're becoming apprentices! Wake up!"
She got up and excitement poured on her face. She started grooming us until our fur was clean and silky. I beamed with pride as we stalked out of the nursery. Timberstar was leaping onto Fallen Log.
"All cats old enough to catch their own prey, gather under Fallen Log for a clan meeting!" He meowed.
As we bounded up to the log, the crowd started to form. I recognized my father, calmly chatting with Swiftwhisker, one of the warriors. He looked up, and I saw confusion on his face, then he looked like he remembered and a sense of pure pride beamed on his face. He bounded over, a deep purr rumbling in his throat. He rubbed our cheeks, licked our ears, and found a good seat.
"We are gathered here today to recruit four new apprentices. They have reached six moons, and are ready to begin their training." Timberstar said, bringing all the cats to silence.
Four apprentices? Who's the fourth? Then I noticed Waspkit sitting neatly with his fur groomed. Waspkit was a troublemaker. He always got caught stealing prey. And he always said that when he became leader, he would destroy the other Clans and take their territory.
    "Cloudkit, from this day on until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Cloudpaw. Your mentor with be Reedfur. Reedfur, you have shown to be a strong and noble warrior. I hope you pass on all you know to Cloudpaw."
Oh, thank StarClan I didn't get Reedfur, but trust me, I sent a silent prayer for Cloudpaw. As they touched noses, I saw Cloudpaw tremble as Reedfur glared at her.
"Smokekit, from this day on until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Smokepaw. Your mentor will be Shadefur."
Shadefur bounded onto the log and touched noses with his son.
"Shadefur, you have proven to be a strong and honorable warrior, and I hope you pass on all you know to Smokepaw." Timberstar continued.
Oh boy, my turn. I gulped and padded up the log.
"Flamekit, from this day on until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Flamepaw. I will be your mentor."
WHAT? The leader as my mentor, what an honor, wow.
"I will pass on all I know to you." He added.
When we touched noses, I felt lighter, like I was riding on clouds. I felt energy pass between us, an understanding. Timberstar stepped back, shock on his face. He quickly shook it away, and looked at me with a smile.
"I see great potential in you, Flamepaw." He whispered.
Then Waspkit jumped on to Fallen Log.
"Waspkit, from this day on until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Wasppaw. Your mentor will be Windymist. Windymist, you have proven to be a respected and wise warrior. I hope you pass down all you know to Waspkit." He finished.
They touched noses, and as quickly as it started, the ceremony was over.