Chapter 33

I woke up to see Cloudbreeze and Smokepelt crying over me. I got up immediately, ignoring the sudden gasps and purrs of my clan mates. I bolted out of the clearing towards the cliff. I slowed when I came closer.
    "Waspclaw?" I called out.
There was no answer.
    Am I too late? I feared.
Then I heard a soft mew.
    "Flamepelt?" It asked.
I ran out of the bushes to see him standing bewildered.
    "But I thought," He began.
He ran up to me and rubbed his head against mine. We sat down and he wrapped his tail around me. He purred like thunder.
    "I'm never letting you go, ever, ever again." He whispered.
I closed my eyes. We sat purring for what felt like a moon. I didn't want it to end. I wanted to feel like this forever.
    "I forgive you." I purred.
I stopped purring for a second, only to hold me tighter.
    "I love you Flamepelt." He mewed.
    "I love you too, I always did." I murmured.
He purred again, and we sat in silence.
    "I know what you did." I murmured, nodding toward the cliff edge.
We both padded over to peer at the rocky creek below. There lay Timberstar. A murderer, and a traitor, broken in despite of all his devious plans.
    "Goodbye, Timberstar." I muttered dryly.
Then Waspclaw got up.
    "I'll, give you a moment." He mewed, heading back towards the bushes.
As he padded into the forest, and his paw steps grew further away, I laid down in the brush. I rested my head on my paws, and drifted into sleep.
    "Wake up, Flamepelt. Your task is not done yet." Said a very familiar voice.
    "Rainmist?" I mewed, seeing her looming over me.
She sat down, and I quickly did the same, giving my chest a few quick grooming licks.
    "You still need to become leader, and appoint a new deputy and medicine cat." She reminded.
I nodded.
    "But how can I become leader, if I was never deputy?" I wondered aloud.
She shook her head.
    "Becoming a leader requires more than just being deputy. You have what it takes, or this wouldn't be your destiny. Rally your Clan, tell them everything. I will help you, so you should know that there is a new medicine cat already on her path to her destiny. Oakfoot with walk with her in her dreams, teaching her everything that she needs to know. You were meant for this since the day you opened your eyes. Believe in yourself, believe in your destiny." She encouraged.
I nodded and touched noses with her.
    "Thank you, Rainmist. Thank you for everything." I purred.
She nodded, and padded away into a gentle mist. I whipped around as footsteps sounded behind me. A snow white she cat and a black tom padded forward.
    "Flamepelt!" They exclaimed in unison.
They bolted and toppled me over, giving me affectionate licks and rubs. I laughed, licking them back.
    "We thought we lost you!" They meowed.
    "I have a lot of explaining to do, but I will tell you on the way. Let's go home." I purred.
We padded through the woods as I told the story. Rainmist, Waspclaw, Reedfur, The Prophecy, everything. They apologized multiple times for not knowing or understanding what I was going through. I told them that it was not their fault. They had a right to be suspicious, and how could they know?
    "So that's basically what I'm dealing with." I finished.
They just padded wide eyed.
    "You're gonna be leader?" He gasped.
    "If everything works out well, yes." I mewed.
When we got back to camp, I took a deep breath, and jumped onto Fallen Log.
    "My Clanmates, I know that there has been much peril in the past moons, but I come with news. Timberstar is dead," I called.
They all broke into sudden gasps.
    "It is not as bad as you think," I continued. "He was a traitor, with a devious plan to stay in power." I meowed.
I explained the whole story again, as my clanmates sat in silence listening. When I finished, shocked murmurs broke out.
    "So, you are our leader?" Asked Bramblefur.
I nodded.
    "So, you are going to travel to the Crystal Rock?" Moonheart wondered.
(Crystal rock is my version of the moon stone/pool.)
    "Yes, I am going there tomorrow." I answered.
Suddenly, Waspclaw stood up.