Chapter 7

"Hello? Is anyone there?" I called out. But there was no answer.
I noticed a cat in the woods. But it was moving away.
"Hello?" I called.
The cat didn't answer. I started running towards it, but it started running to, getting further and further away.
"Wait! Who are you! Please, stop!" I yowled.
I stopped when I came to a clearing. The cat was sitting neatly in the middle of the clearing. It was the cat that saved me.
"Who are you, and why do you keep coming to me?" I asked.
For the first time, the StarClan cat spoke.
"I am Rainmist. I have come to stop the destruction of the Clans. I gave you the prophecy, and I am here to tell you what it means. Usually, we don't share the meanings of prophecies, but this will be the only exception. Listen to me, Flamepaw, the future of the forest is in your paws. You must become leader. If you don't, an evil cat will. And if that happens, the Clans will come to an end." She meowed calmly.
"So, all I have to do is tell Shadefur to make me deputy when the time comes? Then the problem will be solved." I asked.
"No. You must let it happen on it's own. No other cat must know of this." She meowed sternly.
"Why?" I asked.
"In order to become leader, you must prove yourself to your leader, and your clan mates. You can not ask to become leader, you can only earn it." She answered.
I nodded. Her explanation made sense. It wouldn't be honorable to ask for leadership, no matter how important it was.
"This will be the last time you see me. I will no longer be able to help you. Which means if you or one of your clan mates dies or is dying, I will not be there other than to guide them to StarClan." She meowed as she faded away.
I opened my eyes inside the medicine den. I saw my mom outside, and went to talk to her.
"How did I get in there?" I asked.
She looked at me, relief on her face.
"You probably don't remember. When me you and Timberstar were talking, you said that you felt weak, and then you just fainted. So we brought you to Oakfoot and she tended to your wounds." She meowed.
So Rainmist had talked to me during my dreams.
"Would you like me to bring you something, because you need to go back to the medicine den." She meowed sternly.
"Why? I feel fine." I lied. My body and shoulder still ached. I just didn't want to be stuck in the medicine den anymore.
"Oh no you don't." I heard Oakfoot meow.
I turned around to see her stalking towards me.
"Your ribs are severely fractured. You need to stay off your feet, and in the medicine den." She meowed through a mouthful of herbs.
"Oh, and eat these." She said, placing the herbs in front of me.
I bent over and reluctantly ate the bitter tasting herbs.
"Gross." I groaned.
"Now come on, Flamepaw. Let's go back to the medicine den. Mistystream, can you bring her a mouse please?" Oakfoot meowed.
Mistystream nodded and padded away, and Oakfoot and I padded back into the den. As I settled into my nest as Mistystream brought the mouse.
"Thanks." I meowed.
Smelling the mouse made me realize how hungry I was. I finished it in a few quick bites. The sun was going down, so I settled and closed my eyes.
I opened my eyes as sunlight poured in. It was morning, I had slept all night. I saw Oakfoot sleeping nearby. I tried to get up, but my sides screamed in pain. Just then, Timberstar walked in carrying a starling.
"How are you?" He asked.
"Other than my sides being on fire and my shoulder falling off, I'm good." I meowed sarcastically.
He chuckled and dropped the starling at my feet.
"How long will I be in here?" I asked.
He shook his head.
"I don't know." He meowed.
I sighed and took a bite of the starling. It was still warm, so I guessed he had just caught it.
"I have to go." He meowed.
I nodded and he padded out of the den.
I tried to shift, but my sides hurt too badly.
"Am I ever going to get better?" I asked myself.
What if I never did?
Would I be stuck in here forever?