Chapter 27

Emma had concluded that she would leave the city to start her life with her baby. She didn't want anything to happen to her baby because she knew that with Tracy knowing where she lived she might do something crazy to her and the baby. She had already planned on going to talk to Richard, whether or not he would listen. She wanted to explain her reasons for doing what she did and also needed his forgiveness because she wouldn't be able to live in peace knowing that the father of her child hated her.

It's been weeks since everything happened, and Tracy successfully walked out of the marriage. She hired a lawyer to start the divorce proceedings. Richard had no choice but to grant her her wish of wanting the marriage to end. There was no point in them coming together to try and see if the marriage would work, she didn't love him, she said it herself. They decided that the marriage should end in irreconcilable differences, that way the divorce proceedings would be faster.

Richard couldn't stop thinking about his unborn baby and the mother, Emma. He wanted to know her reasons for doing what she did but decided it was best not to go and confront her about it.

Emma thought it was better to go see Richard at his firm instead of going to his house because she wouldn't want to face Tracy. She had no idea that Tracy and Richard were no longer a couple because their separation wasn't made public.

Emma called a cab and told the driver where she was heading, he dropped her in front of the firm. She walked in and inquired from the receptionist if Richard was in, she was told yes and was directed to his office. She was greeted by his secretary who mistook her for Tracy.

"Good day, Mrs Connor."

Emma had to play along because she didn't know how she was going to introduce herself.

"Good day. Please, would you mind letting me know if Richard is me? I would like to see him."

"Yes, ma'am, he is. Just give me a minute and I'll let him know you're around."

"Please, don't. I want to surprise him."

"Okay ma'am, if you say so. You may go right in."

"Thank you." Emma smiled at her.

Richard was on his laptop when his door opened. He was shocked at the sight of the person walking into his office, he never believed that he'd ever see her again.

"Hi," She started but he didn't reply, he just stared at her.

"Sorry, I barged into your office, your secretary mistook me for your wife, so I just had to play along." she chuckled to ease the tension.

"I wouldn't be surprised because you did the same to me."

Emma felt so bad after he said that.

"Please, Richard, I feel bad about what I did."

"Oh, do you?" He questioned.

Emma was already on the verge of tears but she knew she had to control her emotions right now.

"I do. I do, that's why I came here to explain myself to you. I promise I won't take much of your time."

"Well go ahead, I'm listening."

Emma pointed to a seat, "May I?" She was already feeling tired. He didn't reply so she helped herself to one of the seats.

"I'm Emma Russell," she began.

"I just turned 23 a few days back. I studied economics and graduated from the state college, and I got a job as a waitress at a fancy restaurant. One day at work two policemen came looking for me to inform me that my parents and little brother were involved in a car accident which took both their lives. My brother managed to survive but was in a terrible condition," Emma explained already crying while recalling those memories.