Consolation (2/2)

It's been roughly a month since I've started working at Seattle Grace. Preston and Cristina have been in and out of rough spots, which is kind of alarming. I slowly puff out some air as I make my way towards Preston's room.

"I've had it up to here with you, Cristina!" I hear Preston exclaim.

I immediately run into the room to see Addison, Sheppard, Mark and Bailey and her interns.

"B? What's going on in here?" I ask.

"Stay out of this, Y/F/N." Preston snaps.

"What the hell?"  I say under my breath.

Preston has his jaw clenched as well as his hands being balled up into fists. He has that look in his eye, that same look he has when he beat his bully to a pulp.

I get in between Preston and Cristina before I push Preston away by the chest.

"B. You don't want to do this. Come on, have some dignity and remember what Mama taught you." I say.

Burke laughs dryly before he says:

"Really? You want to talk to me about dignity?"

I clench my jaw and glare at him in warning.

"Don't you dare, Preston." I say in a low, threatening tone.

"Ooo. She's mad now, she called me Preston. You guys can only imagine how she is going to react when I say her big, dark secret." He taunts.

"Preston," I warn.

My throat starts to sting in anticipation as my heartbeat bangs against my chest cavity. My breathing turns shallow and he finally says:

"What? Are you ashamed of sleeping with a married man? Or are you ashamed of getting knocked up and killing the baby with loads of painkillers? Oh, I know, maybe you are ashamed that you tried to kill yourself afterwards?"

Suddenly, the room got so quiet you could hear a pin drop. In that moment, Preston snaps out of his rageful gaze and his face falls in shame.

I run my fingers through my hair and rest my hand on my forehead. Tears escape my eyes and I hear Preston softly say:

"Y/N."

"Not a word out of you, Preston." I snap.

I wipe away my tears and walk out my the room. I push my hair out of my face as I release a shaky breath. I hear the door open and close but I don't care to look; instead, I walk towards the locker room.

"Y/N." I hear Mark say.

"Not now Mark." I say as I continued to walk.

I walk through doors and go to my locker. Mark silently walks into the locker room and leans in the locker next to mine.

I strip down to bra and underwear before I change back to my normal clothes.

"You're more than welcome to make a pass, if you'd like. I don't care anymore." I say.

I slide my pants up my legs and zip it up before I button it. I put on my shirt and slide on my boots.

"No. If I am going to make it pass at you, I'm not doing it when you're vulnerable and in distress. That's not the man I want to be.. not anymore." He admits.

I was silent before I stand to throw my clothes into my locker. I slam the locker door and grab my bag to leave.

Before I could make a step, Mark grabs my bicep and presses me against the lockers. His icy blue eyes burrow into my dark brown orbs.

"First off, you need to calm down... And secondly, you sure as hell are not driving home in this condition. Now I don't expect you to tell my anything or justify anything.. but at least let me give you the common courtesy of driving you home. And making sure you get home safe." He says.

He lets go of me and says:

"Now, I have to get changed before I drive you home. Are you going to stay put or should I bound and gag you? And it's not going to be the fun kind."

I can hear his humor in his words but I choose not to laugh.

"I'll stay put." I say softly.

"Good." He says.

As he gets changed, I hold my arm in my hand. An unexpected sob escapes my mouth.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean for that to happen." I say.

I tuck my hair behind my ears and look down at the ground. I hear Mark walk towards me, but my gaze never leaves the ground. I feel him lift my chin to meet his gaze.

I finally let go of whatever stubbornness I had, and I wrap my arms around his warm, bare chest. I press the side of my head to his chest and release small sobs.

He softly shushes me as he combs his fingers through my hair.

"I know what it's like to have no idea what to do about the thought of a baby... I'm sorry for your loss." He states.

He sits down and hold me in his lap. He wraps my legs around his waits in a non-sexual way. I rest my face on his shoulder as he rubs circles on my back. I sigh in relief as the pressure deteriorates in my chest.

He continues to shush me as sobbed harder abs harder in his arms.