Study Time (4/4)

I release a slow breath as I think about leaving Jackson alone. He came to my doorstep scared and cold, I don't want him to feel that way when I am gone. I stare into my shake as I spin it with my straw.

"You miss him, don't you?" Theo asks.

"I do.. but I'm worried that he will feel scared and alone, and I don't want that." I say.

"He's a big boy, he can survive a week without you." Theo reassures.

"You're right.." I say as I dip my Chips Ahoy into my milkshake.

"Oh my God, you can't survive a week without him." He teases.

"That's not true, I.." I trail off as Theo gives me the I-wasn't-born-yesterday look.

"I can't help it." I say.

"Y/N's in love with Jackson, Y/N's in love with Jackson." Theo states in a singsongy voice.

I glower at him before I say:

"I hate you."

"You love me." He say as he takes a bite out of one of my cookies.

"Breaking News At Seattle Grace Mercy West Hospital.."

My head snaps up immediately to look at the TV screen. I look to see a blonde woman holding a microphone up to her lips as she speaks. I see ambulances and cop cars in the background with patients and policemen shuffling around in a frenzy. I have a tight grip on the sides of the counter and my breathing increases.

"Can you put up the TV please?" I request.

One of the men puts up the TV and I continue listening.

"The Chief of the Hospital, Derek Sheppard, has issued a lockdown within the hospital. There were multiple 911 calls claiming that a shooter is in the building. As I was standing here, there were shots fired. We are not sure if anybody is hurt but the Washington Police Department sent in S.W.A.T. and managed to clear two floors of the hospital. Victims say that the shooter has killed more the eight people on their floor, including security guards. The police say that they will find and restrain the shooter before he takes anymore lives. Seattle Washington News." The news reporter states as she cues off.

I look over at Theo with tears threatening my eyes.

"Are you okay?" He asks as he approaches me.

"Jackson is in there," I say softly.

"There is nothing you can do, Y/B. The police are doing whatever they can to minimize the casualties."

"T, there are already eight people who have been killed. What if one them is Jackson? What if he tried to be the hero and the gunman shot him?" I say frantically.

"Y/N, listen to me." Theo says as he grabs my shoulders.

"We may not know anything, but we can hope and pray for the best. Mom and Dad expecting us in a day; we help them decorate every year." He adds.

"I know we do this every year, and you can still go. I know that I can't go in the hospital but I can wait until they restrain the shooter. I can't go to back home, knowing that there is a crisis here. If Jackson is still alive, then he needs me; if he isn't alive, then he still needs me to honor him. You go to Texas and tell Mom and Dad that I love them. I am going to stay here and make sure that Jackson is okay." I say.

"Terminal C is now available to board. If you are in terminal C, please start boarding now." A woman voice said over the intercom.

"You heard the lady." I say.

He huffs before he rolls his luggage towards the terminal. I roll my luggage outside of the airport and called a taxi. I pay the driver and immediately run out of the taxi with my luggage. I see Chief Webber arguing with a police officer in the mass of chaos and noise.

"Chief!" I call over the noise.

He looks at me and says:

"Y/N, I thought you were on vacation?"

"I was, but then I decided to stay once I saw this on the news." I say motioning to the chaotic mass.

"Jackson is he...?" I trail off.

"I don't know. I'm sorry, Y/N." He states.

"Listen, I have an idea.. but I need a distraction." He adds.

"What's the idea?" I ask.

He pulls me away from the crowd and says:

"I'm going in. I know the shooter, his name is Gary Clark and he blames this hospital for the death of his wife. It's me that he wants, so I'm going to give it to him."

I shake my head no and he says:

"I'm not afraid to die."

"I'm afraid for you, Chief." I say.

He presses a fatherly kiss on top of my head and whispers:

"Distract them."

He gently shoved me into the crowd and I yell:

"Help! I'm hurt, I can't feel my legs! Please help!"

I clutch my leg before collapsing onto the floor. Some policemen and paramedics come to my aid. I give Chief Webber the signal to go inside and I resume pretending that I was hurt.

**

We just got word that the gunman killed himself and that everyone else was safe now. There were a total of eleven casualties, including Charlie another Mercy Wester.

They both were Jackson's friends. My heart bangs against my chest cavity as I see doctors and their patients running out of the hospital. My lungs started to collapse on themselves when I see April coming out with blood stained on her scrubs.

"April?" I say.

She looks at me with tear-filled eyes and ran into my arms. She breaks down sobbing against my shoulder and I gently console her as my eyes continue to scan the crowd for Jackson.

Once I see him walking through the crowd, I call his name. He stops and lets everyone else run into him. His gaze falls onto the ground and his eyes look glazed over. His lips are parted with shock but he still doesn't move. I hand over April to Chief Webber before I run up to Jackson. I stop about two feet away from him and his eyes meet mine.

"Jack?" I say.

"Y/N. I-I thought that you were going to Texas." He says.

"I was, but I canceled my flight last minute, when I heard the news." I say.

He releases a puff of air before he says:

"I could have died."

"I know." I say.

I step closer and gently take him into my arms. His arms snake around my waist and pulls me closer to him. He buries his face into my neck and silent sobbed into it.

"He spared me because begged him to let me come back to the woman that I love. I-I told him that I am in love with you... Please don't leave me." He says in a muffled voice.

"I'm not going anywhere, okay? I promise." I say.

I rest my hand on the back of his neck and I gently whisper:

"I'm in love with you too."