Them (2/5)

"Okay, so I'm.. going to act normal, like they were never in my life and that you are better without them." I say, making DeLuca nod.

"Okay. You ready to go back?" He asks.

"Yes," I say.

He take my hand into his and he opens the door. We search around for Dr. Pierce when I hear Bailey say:

"Y/L/N!"

I wince at the pitch of her voice and I look up to see Bailey, Meredith, Webber, Owen, Avery, Pierce, Karev and Jo behind her.

"Yes?" I say.

"Are you alright? The people in the gallery wanted to see you but I said that you were busy in another OR. It seemed like you didn't want to see them, so-" I interrupt Pierce by pulling her in for a hug.

"Thank you," I say as I squeeze her tightly.

"Are you alright? Have you been crying?" Owen asks.

"I-I'm fine guys. You shouldn't worry about me." I say.

"Yes, we should. We've known you for almost six months now, and believe it or not, you've made an impact on all of us. You've been there when we needed someone, it's only fair we do the same for you." Avery explains, making everyone else murmur in agreement.

"Okay.. do you mind if we talk somewhere private?" I ask.

"Sure. Of course," Bailey says as she leads us into an empty conference room.

"I'm sorry to worry everyone," I say before releasing a shaky breath.

"Those people in the gallery were my parents. My abusive parents."  I add.

Jo inhales sharply and I say:

"I've had to deal with them all my life and-"

"Y/N, you don't have to tell us if you're not comfortable talking about it." Owen says.

"No, it's okay. I think this is something that you all should know about me. Right now, you know the good. And eventually, you need to know the bad." I say.

DeLuca holds me hand and caresses the back of my hand with his thumb.

"I've grown used to the bruises, broken bones and scars. In my eyes, the physical abuse was better than the verbal abuse because words hurt.. like a lot. And at some point, I was so low and tired of everything.. that I've had multiple accounts where I tried to commit suicide."

Tears began to swell in my eyes and I say:

"There were four times in my life where I've tried to do it. I drank a whole vial of pain killers, I cut myself, I drank bleach and I tried to hang myself. I spent most of my junior year in a crazy house, which actually wasn't as bad as it sounded. It was a lot more peaceful than my house- filled with screams and shattered beer bottles."

"There was no end to the pain, but there was someone who was there for me when I was going through that hell. The only person who was there to take me to the hospital right in time before the damage was irreversible. And that was my best friend Conner."

Tears escaped Avery's, Jo's and Pierce's eyes.

"He saved me more times than I can count. He is the only reason why I am still living and breathing right now." I say.

Tears fall down my cheeks and I quickly wipe them.

"And I'm not ashamed of my past. It shows how strong my character is and it shows you where I came from. It is a part of my life that I can't even forget and because of that, I know that when I have my kid, that I am going to be the best Mom and the best person that I can be." I state.

"I don't want your pity. Everyone has known me as the girl with abusive parents, so I've had my fair share of pity. So, I don't want your pity; I want your respect." I add.

"Believe me, you got it." Webber says.

"Good. Now, despite the circumstances, Bobby is still my patient. And I need to talk to the family about the surgery." I say, wiping my face and fixing my hair.

"Right," Avery says as he sniffles.

"I'm sorry," He adds.

"There's nothing to be sorry about. It's in the past." I say.

"Well uh.. I'm going to come with you. I don't trust him with you." Avery says.

"I don't need you guys to come with me, I'm-"

"A brown belt in Brazilian Jujutsu and a black belt in Taekwondo. We know, but you still need some emotional support." Webber says.

"I'm coming too," Karev says.

"Me too," Owen says.

"You most definitely know I'm coming," DeLuca says.

"Alright fellas, then let's go." I say.

They all stand up and follow me to where Bobby was being kept. I inhale sharply as I see my mother and father sitting down next to Bobby who is still up unconscious.

They was a young girl who was with them and I glance over at her. She was at least seven years old. Her big brown eyes looked broken and dull, which led to believe that she was suffering through the same thing that I was. But she couldn't be my sister because Mom had her tube tied after me. Which means that she is most likely adopted.

I clear my throat and lift my gaze from the young girl. My mother stands from their chairs as they saw me.

"Hey sweetheart! It's been so long since I last saw you!" My mother greets.

She moves to hug me and I step back as I say:

"Don't touch me,"

"You didn't want to hug me when I was younger and I needed it, so I most definitely don't need one now." I add.

She stops her movement and curved her lips upward as she eyes me. My gaze falls onto my father who is looking at me with a wicked smile. He slowly cracked his knuckle, which internally made me wince.

"Your friend will survive. Dr. Pierce and I managed to repair his side after we pulled out the big chunk of wood. What happened afterward was the small wooden pieces that fell off of the wooden made their way into his blood stream and towards his heart.  Dr. Pierce and I used a small camera with prongs to go through his main arteries and veins that was able to pick out those pieces. We are both sure that we got all of them, but we would like to keep him for a couple more days for observation. Do you guys have any questions regarding Bobby's condition?"  I explain.

"What happens if you missed a wooden speck?" Dad asks.

"It's not suitable to say with her in the room," I say, glancing to the young girl.

"She's a tough girl." Dad says.

"I'm sure she didn't have much of a choice with that matter," I say.

Dad stands abruptly from his chair and approaches me in two strides. The scent of alcohol teases my nose as he huffs angrily. His nose flares as his eyes dilate.

I step closer to him and whisper:

"If we missed a wooden piece and aren't able to retrieve it, then there is a high chance of his heart bursting inside of his chest."

"She's heard much worse than that,"  he says with a chuckle.

"Knowing you, that doesn't surprise me." I say.

"What? Once I left, you need to find someone else to beat on? You can't seem to keep yourself together without physically and verbally abusing someone." I add.

"Aww, are you beginning to miss it.. trash?" He asks.

"Call me that again and see what happens." I say as I grit my teeth.