Kids? Not A Chance! (Alex) [1/2]

A/N: @shamira_avery: Here's your request! Sorry it took a while to write.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You want to have a kid? With me? Are you crazy?!" Alex says as he stands out of bed.

"No, I'm not crazy! I'm in love, okay? I've been in love with you for months now, and I'm ready to take the next step." I justify.

"You may be ready for kids, but I'm not." He says, walking out of the room.

"Truth be told, I don't even like kids." He calls.

"What? How can a pediatric surgeon not like kids?" I ask as I follow him.

"They're not my kids."

"Well you sure act like they're your kids. You argue with other surgeons as if they were your kid. Hell, you even make them promises as if they were your kids. You seem happy with them, yet you don't want any kids of your own?" I say.

"No, I don't! I'll be a horrible father to the kid. Just as my father was to me, and I don't want to burden this hypothetical newborn kid with me as a father." He says.

"Alex..." he continues walking down the stairs and into the kitchen.

I jump in front of him and push on his chest.

"Alex, look at me." I say, holding his face in my hands.

I wait for him to look at me to say:

"You are not like your father."

"You don't know that." He says, pushing my hands away.

"Ale—"

"No! Shamira, I'm done having this conversation. We're not having kids and that's final." He says.

He pours himself a cup of coffee and leans his back against the counter.

"Right.. so because you're the 'man' in this relationship, you call all the shots? Make all the decisions? No, that's not how this works! This relationship is a two way street. We make decision together and we move forward together." I snap.

He still continues to sip on his coffee and I say:

"It's me... isn't it?"

"What?" He says.

"You don't want to have kids with me? And instead of growing a pair and saying so, you're making it so you're the bad guy." I explain.

"No, that's not at all what I'm saying—"

"You're right, this conversation is over. I'll never bring it up again, I promise." I add before wrapping my robe around my body and walking back upstairs.

I set aside my clothes and jump into the shower. I lock the door to prevent Alex from trying to talk to me. He's the last person I want to talk to right now, is Alex.

I strip off my clothes and turn on the faucet. I run my hands through the water until I'm satisfied of its temperature. I start the shower and close the shower curtain behind me.

I let the water run my face and onto my body. I heard the door rattle and sigh in annoyance.

"Shamira, open the door." He says.

"No, you can use the other bathroom." I say.

"Stop being childish," he snaps.

"Ha! Me being the childish one? Well that's a first, actually kind of ironic, don't you think?" I say sarcastically.

"I wanna.. I wanna talk to you about.." He trails off.

"Alex, we already agreed that the conversation about kids is over. So let's just drop it, it's only going to make us both upset." I state.

"That's the thing, I don't want you to be mad at me. We're a team, and we're at our best when we're not mad at each other." He says.

"Well that ship has already sailed." I say.

"Damn it Shamira!... are you pregnant?" He asks.

"What?" I say, turning off the shower.

I step out of the shower and wrap the towel around my body.

I open the door and he asks:

"Are you pregnant? Is that why you brought up this conversation? To ease into actually having a kid?"

"No, I'm not pregnant! But if I was... then I guess I would have to raise this baby by myself." I say coldly.

I try to walk passed him but he boxes me against the door frame.

"Alex," I say with seriousness lacing my voice.

I look off to the side and to the ground, literally anywhere beside him.

"Look at me," He says.

I hesitantly comply and he looks deeply into my eyes.

"You're not going to raise our kid by yourself." He says.

"Don't worry, I'll just carry on the legacy of being a single mother like the rest of the women in my family. It's not that big of a deal." I say.

"I'm getting you an ultrasound," He says.

I push him away by the chest and say:

"I. Am. Not. Pregnant! I was just curious to see if you were ready to have them like I was."

"But I guess not," I before walking away.