10th chapter

Few days later...

I looked confusedly on the face of peacefully sleeping Ethan, lying in a position that I definitely wouldn't cal comfortable. He sat half-leaning on the bedside, hugging me with one hand, while the other supported his head. I had to fall asleep, and Ethan probably didn't want to leave because that would wake me up. I reached for my phone, lying on the bedside table, and took a picture of Ethan. I just hoped he wouldn't kill me.

I took a shower and walked into the kitchen with my grumbling stomach. My throat was almost back to normal, and the fever dropped during the night. I wasn't feeling the best, but at least I was able to coexist normally. In the living room I came across Grayson, lying in a chair. Papers everywhere around him. Few days back I found out he writes down his feelings when he is lost, he even has a little book full of his hidden feelings. I fought the urge to read them. It wasn't right. Instead I started picking them up.

The door of balcony has opened, letting me know that Cameron had returned to his habit. I resisted the temptation to join him and instead continued picking up the papers. I glanced briefly at Grayson and couldn't help the feeling as if even when he was sleeping, he couldn't get rid of his pain. Ethan smiled briefly, even as he slept in such an uncomfortable position. Then there was Grayson. His whole body was tense, frown on his face. It was eating me alive , I wanted to help him so bad, but I just didn't know how.

I reached out for the last paper, and my gaze fell on five words.

Can't fight for this love

I blinked several times in an effort to stop my tears but failed. Grayson didn't deserve this. I hoped Ethan would talk to him as soon as possible and help him. I couldn't watch love slowly kill him. I put down a stack of papers on the coffee table and put his phone over them, so the wind didn't blow it again.

"Learn to shut the goddamn door, Cameron!" I yelled irritably when I was forced to go to the patio door and close it. My next steps led to the kitchen, specifically to the refrigerator, which was unfortunately almost empty, just like me. I didn't want to go out into the unpleasant winter, but unfortunately I had no choice.

As I was walking down the street I had Grayson in my head, his pain and dozens of unanswered questions. Who is that girl? Which of the boys saw her first and knows that Liam loves her too? Or maybe, just Grayson? If the Mr. I-had-my-eyes-on-her-first-so-she-is-mine was Ethan, I was fifty percent certain that it was not about love, but about some primitive need for him to have sex.

In case you're lost, don't worry, so am I. But let's throw it back to last week, when I got home after shopping to drunk Grayson in my apartment. I knew he was feeling down lately, but not until then what was actually going on.

"I don't want to ruin your mood, but you won't find much there." Grayson said as I went to the kitchen. "You are still here?" I turned around to his voice, to find drunk Grayson sitting in my living room. "If you mind, I can just leave." he stood up from his chair, but I held him. "No, it's good, I just thought you were gone." He nodded and sat. "I don't want it, you know?" I gave him a blank look. "What are you talking about?" He sighed. "I can't afford to fall in love. Not now and not to that particular girl."
"Why not? That's stupid." I furrowed my eyebrows. "It's not. I tried, but every time it was the same, I didn't have time for my girlfriends and I lost them, and if I lost this girl, I couldn't do it... And after all, she's not the one for me." He sloughed. "That's even more stupid, why wouldn't she be the one for you?"
"Because I didn't see her first." My confusion reached the highest level. "We have a rule with the guys about girls. Whoever sees her first... you know." I laughed, "I'm sorry but that's really fucking dumb." He shrugged, "It works though."
"So you're telling me one of the boys saw the girl before you, so you can't date her now?" He nodded, "It's not about seeing her though, it's about seeing her and making it clear that you have something for her, basically claiming her in a way." I burst out laughing. "Do you even realize what you sound like? It's 2018, not 1756! 'Claim her' What the hell is that? You guys are really weird! You should upgrade your system or something." I suggested and started to search for my cell phone. "Do you want a pizza?" I asked, changing the topic because I was starving, dialing the pizzeria number, "Why not?" Grayson agreed, but I couldn't miss the frown on his face before I turned around. It was time to talk to someone about him, I really need to figure out what is going on.

And the next day I talked to Ethan, I wanted to find more about what is going on. I don't know what it was but something was just pulling me to him. That's when I found out that he writes down his thoughts when he's feeling down. He tells Ethan everything, but obviously Ethan wouldn't tell me everything. Which makes sense and I totally respect that. I feel like the person who "claimed" the girl we're talking about is Cameron, not Ethan. But for now those are just my assumptions, as Ethan didn't even want to tell me the name of a guy.

"S-sorry?" I heard a girl's voice that pulled me out of my thoughts. "Yes?" I turned around to a smile on a barely eight-year-old girl with wild, reddish curls clinging to a tall ponytail. Her face was full of freckles and she smiled shyly. "Can I ask for a signature?" She whispered almost unhappily. At that moment, the time seemed to stop. Everything around me froze as the girl said the four words I have not heard for weeks. I didn't understand how she could recognize me? "I-I think you have the wrong person." I stammered in horror. I tried to talk her out, but it didn't work. "No, I know it's you." She grinned. "And I won't tell anyone, I know they're looking for you." She whispered mysteriously. Against my will I smiled. "Where can I sign you?" She laughed cheerfully and reached into her pink backpack for her pink diary. "What is your name?"

"Cami." She said enthusiastically. I took time with my signature and put a heart on it with the word 'THANKS'. I definitely was thankful for this angel. She couldn't understand why I had to run away, but she certainly knew I'd betrayed the band, but she loved me. "Have a nice day Cami, it was nice to meet you." I waved at her and continued walking.

- - -

"Jasmin?" I heard a mixture of two arguing voices that died off when the door to the apartment was slammed behind me, "It's me." I confirmed, and within a second found myself in Ethan's arms, embracing me, reassuringly, I just laughed and dragged him away so I could give him a gingerbread latte and a box of muffins. "I went to Starbucks for breakfast." I shrugged and saw the shattered Grayson sitting on the couch, peering at me.

"Someone emptied my refrigerator, AGAIN, who could it be? Does anyone have any idea?!" I raised my eyebrows and headed to Grayson with a chocolate latte and another batch of muffins, he gave me a thank-you look ignoring my questions. "I don't care which one of you all had eaten all of my food, but if the fridge isn't full before lunch, you're all dead." I warned them and went to my room.

Meeting with Cami broke something in me. With tears in my eyes, I sat on the bathroom floor, whose door I locked for sure, staring at the box of sleeping pills. I did it once, shortly before I ran away. I wanted to show management that they couldn't just do what they wanted with us. I wanted to stand up to them, and although I had to admit it was stupid, I considered it again. The feeling of guilt blinded my mind, I was so selfish. I left girls and only saved myself. I'm only 18, I can't hide for the rest of my life and act as if nothing had happened because it happened and it was eating me alive. There was no other way, I only wanted one thing, to finally get rid of the pain...