March 2018- Part 1: Big Mouth Comedy Festival

The Big Mouth comedy festival was an event that took place at the Guildhall between the 10th and 11th of March. I went to the Saturday evening portion of the proceedings. I had been drawn to it by the presence of the headliner, Russell Kane. I had already seen him once in Jersey last year and thought he was quite funny, so considering the close proximity to my halls and the fact that other comedians, ones I haven't seen before, were also on the bill, helped me to decide to go. I'm glad I did
The first act of the night was Zoe Lyons, like many other comedians, she likes to be bounding around the whole stage and demonstrating what is she is discussing in some kind of physical way. She discussed topics from embracing getting old, to one-legged pigeons and the plight of Deliveroo drivers.
Before Russell Kane, or even the reliance came on stage, the whole night was compared by a local comedian called James Alderson. He made a few jokes that only local people to Portsmouth would truly understand, but I got the sense that he was funny, as he talked about his teenage son wanting expensive things like the latest iPhone, and his process of trying to talk his dad into letting him buy it.
Up next, it was time for Russell Kane to take the stage. I knew he would be a good because as I said, I've seen him in Jersey before, and he didn't disappoint. Interestingly about his set this time round, he said that he was getting a feel for the audience and that he would improvise the whole thing, unlike last time when he had a set list of topics that he stuck to on his tour. His discussions became quite political, satirising the fact that the impending arrival of Brexit will have, and has had already, on our relationships. He compared living in the UK to going on holiday,and how much more laid-back and relaxing it is to be somewhere else rather than here in the UK., Again I will say that I really enjoyed seeing Russell Kane again and I wouldn't mind seeing him m again in the future if he ever came to Jersey again? or back to Portsmouth when I am in either of those places.
The departure of Russell came from the stage brought to an end to the early evening portion of the night, but there were still two more acts to go, in the late evening section
Aside from still being compared by James Alderson, we witnessed a music fuelled performance from Britain's Got Talent 2017 contestant Johnny Asum. I thought he was really great, he is so unique that I would say that he is quite difficult to describe but I did particularly enjoy a song he did about someone experiencing a one night stand, to the tune of Take That's 'Back For Good'. After his set, I went to say hi to him and bought one of his CDs, which he signed for me.
The last act of the night I would say, is even more  difficult to describe. It was a comedy duo called the Raymond and Mr Timkins Revue. Their act is basically that they are very physically quick and accurate with their comedy timing. The backing track to their act that was a mash up of particular lines from certain songs which, in a silent performance on their part, they used physical props to take these lines out of context,and create a series of laughs for us as an audience.
Overall, I really enjoyed myself and felt that it was well worth my time going. I can see myself going again next year for another round of all new laughs. I came away with the festival T-shirt as well, that's always good.