Brotherly Moments

Rafael was sitting on his brother's living room couch, drinking Japanese whiskey while they watched a movie. It was a thriller with some serious subjects. It was the kind of movie which you had to pay close attention to so they didn't talk. It was a comfortable kind of silence which had taken over. It was odd how they bonded over protecting their little sister. Sebastiano made it a point not to mention Rose in his presence anymore and he appreciated that. Rafael was really getting into the movie when Max barged into the room giving them both the scare of their lives.

"Fuck." Sebastiano sat up and glared at their younger brother, "What is your problem?"

Max stood in front of the flat screen which made both of them straighten up and get ready for whatever Max was going to throw at them.

"Dad wants to see us."

Rafael frowned, "Now?"

Max grabbed the remote control and turned off the TV, "Yes, now." He sounded annoyed.

"What got your panties all twisted up?" Sebastiano asked as he got to his feet and rolled down his sleeves, covering up his tattoos.

Max reached for Rafael's jacket and threw it at him, letting them know just how annoyed he was.

"Oh, I don't know. The two of you having a brotherly moment and not inviting me." The temperature in the room cooling down immensely because of Max' stare alone, "Again."

Sebastiano glanced his way, sharing a look before he decided to finally speak up, "I needed some time away from my wedding drama. You might have given me your word that your loyalty lies with me, I just didn't want to deal with any talk about that woman. So, it's on me, not Seb."

Sebastiano made a sound of disapproval, "Actually I prefer not talking about that woman either, so you can blame both of us for wanting a break from Rafe and Rose's wedding drama."

Betrayal mixed with sadness flashed through Max' eyes even though he tried to hide it. Rafael had seen it and when he glanced at Sebastiano he could tell his brother had seen it too. They both felt guilty. Stepping forward Rafael placed a hand on Max' shoulder and flashed him a small smile.

"I'm sorry, I should have invited you over. That was a shitty thing I did."

Max shook his head, "No, I get it. You want a break from the wedding drama and I keep bringing it up."

Rafael gave Max' shoulder a squeeze, "Even so as your older brother I shouldn't leave you out of these things." He moved in and pulled Max in for a hug which he eagerly returned. It was like they went twenty and something years back in the past where they were little boys again always having each other's back, "A woman is never coming between us, I promise."

"Me too.'

Max' voice sounded small, he wouldn't dare say it but he felt like his brother was near tears because of their little moment.

"Are we done hugging it out?" Sebastiano asked, "Dad is waiting."

Rafael gave Max a pat on the back and then pulled away, "Yeah, let's go. I'm sure he is having his second or third drink already. I don't want to deal with him drunk."

"Me neither," Sebastiano muttered, walking past him to lock things up.

They took the elevator down, debating long about whose car to take. In the end, he won, he knew he only won that debate because he was the older brother and despite Sebastiano always disagreeing with him and Max always trying to push his way they both respected him for being their older brother. It was something which was honoring but also frightening at the same time. He didn't want to do anything to ever losing the respect they had for him. It made him anxious about the future.