2 5

fiona

her caretaker— ironic, considering that's usually her job— is christian. pale skin, bleach blonde hair, blue eyes. cute, but subtlety.

she finds the spare key to her apartment in her purse, finally given back to her after being in holding. unlocking the door, she opens it, walking inside to see...

everett and some guy.

naked.

okay.

she clears her throat. the two spring apart, tripping over each other and hiding behind the island's countertop, each with bright red cheeks. "fiona!"

"hey," she says awkwardly. "long time no see."

everett nods, then sprints with his boyfriend behind him to his bedroom, leaving fiona and christian to stand in the doorway. "so... i'll go change into some different clothes."

christian follows.

"seriously? i think i'll be fine switching my outfit, thanks."

she strolls away to her room, pulling out a pair of leggings and crewcut long-sleeved shirt. christian turns around. she rolls her eyes and strips out of her clothes, hopping in her new ones and then sitting on her bed. "you're quiet."

he shakes his head, still facing the wall. "i don't know what you want me to say."

"you don't need to say anything. you're pitying me."

christian glances back at her. "maybe."

"honest, too," fiona notes aloud. she tries to ignore the bed squeaking in the room next door. she plugs her ipod into her speaker, and leans back against her pillows, eyes closed with her hands clasped on her stomach. "come here."

hesitance. then, a dip in the duvet where christian sits on the edge, as if she is a fire that he's too scared to get close to. his voice is low. "leaving tonight by the neighbourhood. i love them."

"you do?" disbelief flows through her voice, more than it should.

"yeah."

she decides to stop talking and just let the music envelope them, minute after minute, song after song. she is lulled to sleep, and her subconscious feels the man next to her tuck the sheets in around her.