Reminiscence

Chapter 17:

I did not land gracefully once I had earth beneath me. I fell to my hands and knees, coughing and wringing water out of my lungs. Beside me, Dania and Loki were in a similar state, waterlogged and coughing. "What the fuck is this?" I heard a familiar voice growl and looked up to see Hades with several of his children looking down at us. They were in battle garb and appeared to have just completed a battle.

"We're cool." Dania said, coughing as she spoke. "Just had to get the snake."

"Snake?" Hades questioned, an expression of distaste on his face.

I continued coughing to get the water from my lungs and raised my arm to show him the silvery serpent coiled there.

Hades raised an eyebrow. "Well, let's hope I get along with this one better than the last white snake I met."

"Hello." Jormungandr said, as he uncoiled his head from near my elbow. "I will stay away from your affairs, Lord Hades. I realize I am an unasked for guest. If you will allow me, I would stay at my brother's side. If that is unwise I will go where you wish. Please keep in mind that I am unable to return to the human world on my own."

Hades looked slightly surprised for a moment then smiled. "He asks permission. I'd call that a first." He said to no one in particular, then chuckled. "You can both stay if you can keep yourselves scarce for a while. I don't really give a damn about Odin and his booty-buddies in the Nordic Pantheon. I'm more concerned that a Shadow is going to try and get to you before I have a chance to figure some shit out. Ass-gard is going to get their panties in a wad, bitch and moan, try to come down and get you, then we're going to spank them and send them home." Hades said with a sigh as he rubbed his forehead.

"Sir...are you certain?" I asked with concern. "I do not want to cause your people any further discomfort much less start a war between our people...."

Hades laughed. "Crazy sadists throwing a tantrum, lightning strikes, looming destruction, cross-pantheon civil war and split personalities? Please, that's not discomfort. That's Tuesday with my brood." He shook his head then rubbed his forehead. "My only concern right now is this damned shadow shit. We're having problems with Shadow warriors and it's slowing down our research into curing the infection. More people are dying or going missing altogether."

Jor looked between me and Hades. "You seek to cure what ails my brother? Excellent! Is there anything that I can do to aid you? My magic whilst I am out of the water is minimal, but I will do what I can."

Hades seemed to reel back before he pointed down at Jor. "This! This is the kind of snake I like! This guy could teach Lucifer's bestie a few things about manners!"

I wasn't sure what Hades initially had against snakes but I was glad that Jormungandr proved to be an exception. I glanced down at Jor, who tilted his head in similar confusion, then looked back at Hades as he spoke. "No, there isn't anything you can do right now." Hades said "Just keep your head down and eat something as soon as you can. So long as you have our food in you, they can't test my custody of you."

My stomach let out a loud grumble, loud enough that Hades heard it. I saw Abel laugh briefly before quickly swallowing the sound and biting his lip. I flushed and tucked my elbows close to my stomach, a bit embarrassed. Hades shook his head. "Go. Go eat. Try something semi-solid to see how chewing and such feels before we go after anything crunchy or meaty."

I nodded and so did Jor, then the slim serpent moved to curl around the full length of my arm to rest his head on my shoulder. "After I eat, shall I go back to the room you offered me, sir?" i asked.

Hades nodded and turned to look at Loki. "I don't know what the fuck you did, but you have some of the most polite kids I've ever met." Hades commented to the trickster.