_missing

I wonder, do any of you guys bother to listen to the YouTube music add-ons in Wattpad? I'm running out of music accompaniments to chapters so if you have any moody-techno-alternative music recommendations that remind you of this story, send them my way!

And don't forget to tell me what you think so far ;)

Also, I'm literally at the halfway point of this story! HOLYYYYY

I'd love to tell you guys more but I don't want to stall you from reading any further ;)

Enjoy!

What did it mean to die in a game?

Did it mean losing all your progress and restarting again at the Introduction?

Did it mean a cyclic loop of fade-to-back endings biting the tails off of recycled prologues?

Did it mean closing the last few windows of a satisfying ending and shelving an entire pixellated universe on a pile of other pixellated universes to collect dust?

Did it mean being wiped off the face of the world, never to be remembered by anyone but the only conscious stranger in a strange realm of cliched fancy?

The pink bed sheets and fairy lights on and around the bed adjacent to Violet's had disappeared when she logged into the game after a two day gaming fast. Lockers pregnant with beauty products that could fill a fifty-paged catalog had only a film of dust lying over their empty, rusted shelves. Whenever Violet would ask a NPC about her missing roommate, they would pinch their brows, purse their lips, and shake their heads saying, almost in unison,

"Who's Lena?"

When she finally re-grew the balls she'd gotten castrated back in the previous episode, Violet sent a text to her glasses-wearing Knight, only to receive a "I'm not familiar with that name :/" with another,

"Who's Lena?"

It was like a minor character's death in this world weighed as much as the character's impact on the story; it was almost non-existent.

But death in games did not mean the total annihilation of a character's existence.

Did it?

Violet's face was solemn as she trampled through a thick forest of barren trees in the middle of a lifeless, gloomy night. With only the dim glow of a fire in the distance to guide her, Violet's feet maneuvered through a complex gridiron of tree roots to reach a bonfire party that was definitely prohibited by the academy sleeping soundlessly a few hundred meters behind her.

The girl with prickling shards for a heart was very bothered. For one thing, Violet did something that she could never forgive herself for doing.

Again.

In her panic/hysteria/whatever it was that was stunning her sensibility stupid, Violet stared at the screen that preceded her log out button. If she had "swiped" past the damned bookend, she would've narrowly avoided the deafening buzzing, the mutilated bodies, and most importantly, her good old ex-friend Jackson fucking Invidia.

And if it wasn't obvious before, the second thing that bothered Violet the most was Lena's total erasure from the game. All trace of her was gone when Violet returned for another serving of virtual mystery, murder, and mayhem after she'd decided that her RL grandmother can go to Hell along with her "successful" progeny of lawyer/doctor/CEO grandchildren.