_damages

This is rough AF because I wanted to update ASAP so please be forgiving! Sorry (times INFINITY + 1) for the late update! I'll pathetically explain myself on the other side so please,

Enjoy!

Behind the gymnasium door, the repetitious swish and thud of basketballs flying through net and bouncing off floor disturbed the faulty and faithless metronome ticking erratically out of tune in Violet's chest.

Swish.

Ba-dump. Ba-dump. Ba-dump.

Swish.

Ba-dump. Ba-dump. Ba-dump.

Visiting Jack during his solo practice sessions was not something that fell out of line in her and Jack's "couple's routine". Violet would regularly "intrude" on Jack's practice and foment a round of flirtatious banter that oftentimes--if not always--ended in a rigorous co-ed "work out" session back in the hallowed space of Violet's cramped dorm room. The current situation, with Violet standing behind a gymnasium door staring at the toiling boy sinking ball after ball into a worn-out basketball hoop, was no different than those regular, libidinous intrusions Violet used to initiate with shameless stride.

But Violet felt that it was different this time around. It felt like as if there was an invisible barrier psychically preventing Violet from entering the gymnasium, pushing the nervous girl away from her boyfriend and intimidating her with quiet coercion.

Boyfriend.

Did she even deserve to claim Jack as hers?

That night after Violet had sloppily fucked Gin in that perverse quagmire of sticky pig's blood, Violet fell into bed with Jack that same night, going through a befuddling two bloody rounds before Jack silently dressed himself and walked out of Violet's room without even a glance her way.

Did he know what she had done earlier with Gin?

Did he know that it was her fault his team lost the game?

Violet wanted to curse at Gin, to run him over with his secondhand Audi and bury him in a sandy beach grave overlooking a pink-tinted ocean covered in a dark blanket of pearly, luminescent stars. She wanted to hurt the catalyst of this messy, melodramatic soap opera and disfigure him permanently for prodding Violet into this...love triangle.

As unsurprising as it was, Violet was subject to a love triangle. And she utterly and irrevocably hated it.

But this isn't entirely Gin's fault, whispered the voice of Reason in Violet's head.

The anger she had heating under her skin distracted Violet from the cold hard truth--and most importantly--the guilt of her crime; she cheated on Jack. She was the one that accepted Gin when he ceremoniously offered himself to her and she was the one that allowed Gin to re-enter those sanctimoniously coveted spaces reserved specifically for Jack.

She was responsible for this mess and now she had own up to her brief moment of vulnerability. Which she utterly and irrevocably hated as well.

Violet took a deep breath.

Maybe he doesn't know? Maybe it's just me?

But it did feel different this time around.

He knew.

Mustering all the bravery and remorse she carried like Atlas, Violet pushed open the door.

Jack did not look away from the perfect flight path of his ball, nor did he greet Violet as she nervously ambled towards him.

By the time Violet reached the large basketball cart by Jack, Jack had sunk three balls into the net without glancing once at his "girlfriend".