in pieces

W: Hey

N: Hey

W: How are you?

N: I am ok. You didn't have to send everyone home. We could have talked tomorrow.

W: No. It didn't feel right how we ended the phone call.  And I just wasn't in party mood anymore. They went out to a nightclub, they'll survive.

N: So you turned in your thesis? - I said calmly

W: Yeah. Finally. I have been living the thesis the last week it feels. Its like I have had a really tight armor suit on for months but the last week it has been almost choking me and now it's finally off. I can breathe again.

N: I can imagine how a relief that must be.

W: It is. I am sorry I didn't tell you. I just... I don't know.

N: Don't know what?

Silence

N: William?

W: I am tired. 

N: Wh...

W: I am tired of chasing you Noora. That's what I feel I have been doing the last months. And I don't think I can do it anymore. 

N: Wil...

W: Please let me finish. I am tired because you are constantly moving towards something and I am chasing you, constantly two steps behind. I feel like you don't need me anymore. 

N: Of course I need you.

W: No. You don't. You have a new life that is in another country and which doesn't include me. You want to go out and explore. I am gonna have my law degree soon and stay in Oslo. 

N: Cant we do both?

W: I think its physically impossible to stay in one place and at the same time travel around. But I mean what happened? Two years ago you had to be in Oslo with your friends so I came back from London and stayed here to be with you. Now that I am here, you leave. I am starting to believe that it's me that is the problem. 

N: Don't be ridiculous. I just want to explore and I always thought we would do it together. 

W: I am satisfied with my life here. I had you and soon I'll have a job that I love. That's all I need. 

N: I didn't plan it like this. I too would love to stay in Oslo, but my dream just isn't doable in Oslo so I have to chase it. I have to see how far it can take me. I have to see if I am good enough.

W: You are more than good enough Noora.

N: I have to be good enough in other peoples eyes too, not only yours William.

W: I just... I feel like I am holding on to something you have already given up on.

N: That's funny coming from the guy breaking up with me.

W: I am sorry Noora. We are heading in different directions and neither one of us wants to give up our dreams for one another. That should tell you something.

N: I never thought we would end over a phone call.

W: I never thought we would end. At all.

We were both crying on each our end of the phone by now. 

I felt as if I was free falling. A feeling that held me for days. I didn't know when or where I was gonna land, but by the shape, the fall was in, it was not going to be a good landing. Because I knew however and wherever I landed I would still be without him. <3