Chapter 9

Claire's P.O.V

"I can't believe that just happened." I said to Max as we entered the cafeteria.

"Yeah, what a monster Vanessa is." He told me.

"That's true, but I was talking about Hayes. I have had more drama with him the past few days then I have ever had with anyone." I said to Max as we looked for a spot to sit.

"Every girl wants him, that's why you guys had that fight." I heard Max say.

"Over here!" I heard a girl say.

I turned around and I saw the popular kids from last night. I saw one of the girls waving to me and motioning for me to come over.

"Hey." I said as I walked over.

"We invited you to sit with us, not this random guy." The same ninth grader from last night.

"It's cool, I understand." Max said to me as he went and sat with a group of kids.

"Good. I'm Maddy." The ninth grader said as she gave me a devious smile.

"Was it really nesscary to have Max leave?" I asked her.

"Oh of course it is. If you want to be popular you can't hang out with the wana bees or the losers." She told me as she took a bite out of her carrot.

"But Max is my friend." I said a little too loud.

"Well, it's either us or Max." Maddy said as she motioned to the table of kids.

I didn't know what to do, so I just sat there. I mean Max would be fine, he said it was cool and it looked like he was having fun with his friends.

"Hayesie!!" I heard one of the cheerleaders scream.

Wow, those girls screams were annoying and could have broken my ear drums. I turned to see Hayes walking up to us. Crap, he was one of the most popular guys. How was I going to face him and deal with everything we just went through?

"Hey, Claire." Hayes said to me as he walked over and kissed my cheek.

"Hey." I mumbled.

I was really bored during lunch, I mean why does it have to be an hour long. I pretty much sat there eating my lunch and ignoring all the girls who were flirting with Hayes.

"I'm in love with Claire." I heard. I turned to see Hayes standing on top of a table yelling to everyone.

"Oh my f'in god." I whispered to myself.

I know Hayes thought by doing this I would forgive him for not believing me, but it was just embarrassing.

"Hayes what are you doing?" I asked him as I pulled him down from the table.

"Declaring my love for you." He told me as she smiled.

"That is so stupid. We have been dating for like a day. You can't just go up there and yell that you love me." I said and stormed off.

Before I stormed off, I saw that Hayes looked shocked. I knew it was supposed to be some sort of grand gesture, but it was just uncalled for. Hayes has known me for years, and when ever something corny like that happened in a movie I told him it disgusted me.

"I'm sorry." I heard from behind me.

I knew it was Hayes but I just kept walking away. I just needed to get away from Hayes and clear my mind.

"Did you and Hayes just break up?" I heard and I turned around to see CeCe chasing after me.

"No, but I need to get away from him for a little bit." I told her.