Chapter 15

"Kacey?"

"Oh my gosh, it's been way to long." Kacey said as she rushed over to me and pulled me into a hug.

"Kacey, what happened to you?" I asked her.

Kacey and I were besties in elementary school. She was the nerd of our school. Everyone made fun of her because of her weight and appearance. But I saw her inner beauty and we became as close as sisters. However everything changed when she moved to California to live with her aunt since her parents passed away.

What I saw in front of me couldn't be the Kacey that I remember. Standing in front of me was a tan goddess. Kacey had beach blonde hair, hazel eyes, the perfect amount of make up that hid her blemishes but wasn't caked on. She reminded me of the Barbie dolls that we used to play with.

"Well when I moved to California I decided to re invent my self and never be treated so poorly again. Now I'm perfection." She giggled as she snapped her fingers on the last word.

"Why are you in North Carolina?" I asked her.

"My aunt got a job opportunity and we just had to take it. You know my aunt the owner of Cover Girl." Kacey said as she flipped her hair.

"Oh yeah." I said with concern in my voice.

"We can be besties again!!!" Kacey yelled at me. "Plus I start school here tomorrow." She yelled at me.

I kept replaying this conversation in my head for the rest of the day. I couldn't even pay attention to Vanessa being humiliated in class. After another few hours of torture the bell finally rang.

I gathered all my stuff and headed to detention.

Detention, full of delinquents and people who don't give a crap about their grades. Then there's me who let my jealously get the best of me. Oh and I almost forgot who was in detention almost more than anyone else the one and only Hayes Grier.

"Look who finally showed up." Hayes said as I walked into the detention room.

"Looks who's here a again." I told him.

"Look who gained some weight." Hayes told me.

"You idiot." I said as I slapped him.

"Dude can we just be besties again, I missed you. I miss our times where we stay up for hours just talking. I missed all the summer nights where we would fall asleep on the beach staring up at the stars." Hayes said as he stared into my eyes.

"I forgive you, after all I do need someone that I can make fun of all the time." I said as I started laughing my booty off.

After talking for five minutes out lazy teacher came in.

"Hey I said no talkin. If you want to flap your gums go and deliver these papers to Mrs. Noble." He snapped out us.

"Be back soon." I said as I grabbed the papers and Hayes followed me.

"Yasss, we are finally free." Hayes yelled in the halls gaining him some disapproving looks from the teachers around us.

"Shut up, or we are gonna get another detention." I said as I hit his arm playfully.

"I already have detention for the rest of the week so ha." He yelled at me.

"Your such an idiot. You know that right?" I asked him as I laughed.

"Yeah but I'm your idiot." He whispered to me as he pulled me towards the stairs.

"Hayes, you know I'm not ready for a relationship yet." I told him.

"Gosh Claire. Why do you have to be so difficult? Why can't you see that I love you?" Hayes yelled me as he used his hands for emphases.

"Hayes..." I yelled as I felt the pain of the stairs jabbing into my sides.

All I remember is the blurry image of Hayes as I fell into the darkness...