Chapter 30

The real performance thing was tomorrow.

Families were meant to come to watch it but I hadn't in asked Auntie Kate to come because I was just an under study.

Today we spent the whole day practising. The costume people had switched Dotty's costume into stilettos instead of heels. Chelsea didn't seem to happy and she tried to protest about it but she soon gave in to wearing them. I, personally, didn't see what the big deal was.

John, the director, called me over to him.

I furrowed my eyebrows but reluctantly got up and walked over to him.

"Are you okay?" He whispers, so that we're not heard by the people performing.

"Yeah, why?" I was a but confused but John never speaks to me really.

"I always see you working hard on learning your lines but you don't seem as concentrated today. I couldn't help but notice," he exclaims.

"I've learnt all my lines so I have none to remember," I tell him.

He raises his eyebrows. Then questions me, "what's Dotty's only line on page five?"

I cough and put on Dotty's voice, or at least how I imagined it, "Mr Willis is struggling with getting to the toilet, could you give us a hand?"

He nods, "her reaction to Charlie telling her his feelings?"

"Charlie, I, I don't know what to say!"

He smiles, "don't tell anyone I said this. But I don't know why you didn't get the part, you deserved it more than her," he nods towards Chelsea who's now angry about something else.

"Thanks," I reply, before turning on one heel and walking away.

-

The production was in a few hours.

Now that I'm up, I can't sleep again, although I guess that's because I slept in till eleven.

I heard Chelsea's screeching of a singing voice come from in the kitchen. "I WANT YOU BACK, I WANT YOU BACK."

I got changed and did my usual routine for the morning. I skipped breakfast and marched past Chelsea who was, as I guessed, in the kitchen cooking a fry-up. I went straight out of the door, not giving her a glance.

I went down to the park and sat on a bench, simply reading. I blocked out the world. Including the sound of birds chirping, children squealing happily and the breeze calmly swaying.

"I'm sorry," I hear somebody say.

I half expected it to be Harry, but when I lift up my head I see Emma.

"I shouldn't have been so inconsiderate," she looks sad.

"It's fine, I was just a bit stroppy, stuff got to me,"

"Harry's bitchiness got to you." She corrects.

"And that," I laugh and look down.

She sits next to me and smiles kind of sadly.

"Good luck for later on," she says, kindly.

"I'm not performing." I admit sadly.

"Not that you know of, but you might be. You never know," she nudges me playfully, "expect the unexpected."

I smile and nod. "Thank you,"

She looks at me a bit confused.

So I explain, "you're the only one here for me at the moment, everyone else has given up on me, I guess. So much for good friends."

"Maybe they just care about you so much that they thought you deserved some space," she shrugs.

"But, what if I don't want space from them?"

"Then you need to tell them that." She puts her arm over my shoulder to comfort me.

"Yeah," I agree, not really knowing what else to say. "Maybe."

We talked for a while before walking back to Uni. We said goodbye because I had to go and get ready for the performance, and she said she'd be there, whether I was performing or not.

The time went reasonably quickly, and soon I found myself backstage, getting ready to watch the performance. Yep, that's right, Chelsea had turned up, looking happy than usual.

She leaned into Harry when getting ready, but he looked sort of confused, glancing at everyone to see if they could see what she's doing. He didn't look at me though.

"No!" Chelsea protested when they got out her stilettos and began bringing them to her, "I can't take this anymore! I'm not wearing those disgusting shoes, I'm wearing heels, and there's nothing you can do about it!"

She pushed the stilettos to the side and then slipped on these massive black heels, the heels seemed really thin, too. She wobbled a bit but then stood up straight.

"See?" She said, rudely, "they're fine!"

She held onto the table next to her for support.

The lady rolled her eyes and turned to the next person.

"On in two minutes." A man said, peering his head through the backstage curtain.

Chelsea looked really excited, saying "yay, I can't wait!"

She then let go of the table and reached towards her coat that was laying on the floor, but suddenly her heels began stumbling and her left foot slipped to the side, causing her to fall onto the floor with a huge bump. She held her back and foot in pain, tears flooding from her eyes.

"Argggggghhhhhh!" She screamed, in pain.

A lady turned round and gasped, "oh dead lord!"

She knelt down and touched Chelsea's foot, but she winced in pain, "GET OFF! THAT HURTS."

The lady backed away from Chelsea slightly and stood up to look at me, "put the costume on, it's your time to shine."

Chelsea looks astonished, "bu-"

"You can't go on in this state!" The lady exclaims.

She then looks up at me and points to the extra costume, I grab it and walk into a changing room.

Suddenly I get really nervous, knowing that I'll have to be on stage with Harry.

When I come out of the curtain, Harry looks at me, well, at my costume.

He sort of stares though so I start getting uncomfortable. I cough, causing Harry to look up at my face and our eyes lock, for the first time in forever.

I get called over by the hair stylist, who interrupts our staring contest. "Abi, over here!"

I walk over and sit in the chair, she begins fiddling with my hair and making it into Dotty's hair style.

I hear footsteps next to me and turn slightly to see Finley stood there.

"Hey," he waves slightly.

"Hi," I smile.

"So, you got lucky after all?" He grins at me.

I guess I did.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nearly got 1k reads omg ily guys!

So the next chapter is going to be the performance shiz, I hope you like that.

Thanks for reading <3

~A ;)x