Chapter Sixteen

My breathing becomes ragged and quick

My breathing becomes ragged and quick. Clutching the back of the chair, I fall into it and try to regain my breath and calm down. I place my hands on my knees and gasp in air. Lightheaded, I see stars and feel my body sort of hum and go numb.

I collapse off of the chair and hit the concrete floor hard. My arm stings and I know that it is bleeding, but the challenge of breathing has all of my attention.

In the fall, I suppose I hit a button on the remote because all the walls are lifted up, similar to Nathan's and the boys come to the edge of their cell and begin shouting, but only a few of their shouts actually register in my hazy mind.

"Sang!" North roars.

"What happened?" Kota yells.

Luke exclaims, "Stop playing, Sang!"

"This isn't funny Meanie!"

Sean yells, "Shut up! Sang, I need you to focus on my voice. Can you do that?"

I draw in another ragged breath and nod as best as I can.

The sound of my pounding heart fills my ears and Sean's calming voice washes over me as he instructs, "Breathe in... Breathe out... Breathe in... Breathe out... Breathe in..."

I follow his directions and soon am back to normal enough that I can stand up on my own. Heavily, I sit back down on the chair. The sound of my heavy breathing fills the room making it seem as if I ran around the world twice and am only stopping for air now.

"What happened, Sang?" Owen asks, somehow making the concerned question sound like an order.

"I don't know, I just couldn't breathe right all of the sudden," I lie, masking my feelings and microexpressions so they cannot tell that I am lying.

"Don't lie. It's my fault," Nathan confesses guiltily.

Everything had been going fine. I spoke with Axel next and he was extremely comforting and helpful with how overwhelmed I was feeling. Speaking with so many people was unusual and really overwhelming and Axel was even able to get me to speak with Gabriel again. Gabriel seems to be a good person, as far as I can tell, but he is just so... much. I kind of bolted and left without asking him any questions.

Gabriel was understanding and everything was going smoothly.

Until Nathan.

⚪⚫⚪⚫⚪⚫⚪⚫⚪

"Hello, Nathan," I greet him cheerily.

The large redhead doesn't even look at me and grits out, "Sang."

"So I am asking each of you three questions and you are each asking me three questions. Sound good?"

Nathan snorts, "Sound good? Sound good?! What sounds good is you letting us out of this place! The others may be falling for your little "innocent victim" act, but I am not. Who do you think you are? Two scars and your all the sudden haunted? Vacant eyes and a few stories and you think you can convince all of us of your plight? Wake up. We are your prisoners, not your friends, little girl."