Rumors

I started working at Uta's shop a few days after our conversation at the bar. He was a total different person than I expected at first, it was probably because of the fact that he tried to scare me off the first time we met.

"(First name)-Chan, can you hand me the paint over there?" he asked pointing at a set of varnish colors.

"Sure" I carried the box with the colors over to him and watched him painting the mask he was currently working on.

"Who is this mask for?" I asked curiously

"A really short tempered customer who has the urge to destroy everything in his range" he joked with a smile.

"And that customer is into rabbits I suppose..." he nodded

"Exactly, but he likes to keep it a secret" I chuckled

"No wonder, as a guy I would be embarrassed to admit it too" both of us laughed until he requested me to pick up some more tools from his shelf. I looked through the boxes until I had everything he requested. When I closed the box something fell out and landed before my feet.

"A mask?" I bend down to pick it up and inspected it closely.

"It has the face of a cat... it's really detailed..."

"Need some help?" Uta looked over his shoulder and found me staring at something. He left his chair and walked up behind me, he noticed I was holding the cat mask in my hands.

"Do you like it?" he asked startling me a little.

"Yeah, it's really pretty..." he smiled

"Then take it" I looked at him surprised

"R-Really?? But doesn't it already belong to someone?" he shook his head.

"It did once but now it's just a dust collector" I looked at the mask and felt bad for such a nice piece of work to be packed away.

"What a pity for such a beautiful mask to be packed away... if you really don't mind I'll take it" I felt a strong attraction towards this mask, it looked somewhat familiar but I could not trigger why.

"Sure, it's all yours" he said and took the mask from my hands.

"Let me help you put it on, we have to see if it fits your size" I nodded and let him place the mask on my face, it fitted perfectly.

"There you go, have a look in the mirror over there" he pointed at the mirror on his wall and I headed towards it.

"Wow... this mask really looks amazing" I said as I saw my reflection.

"Glad you think so, it was a piece of work until I finished it, especially attaching all the vibrisse" I hummed and stared in the mirror for a little longer before I turned away and removed the mask.

"You are really talented when it comes to designing masks, the material feels amazing and you really have an eye for details... " I complimented

"That's really nice of you, thank you I appreciate your compliment a lot" he gave me a closed eyes smile before he moved to another box.

"In this one I keep some of the masks I made in the past" he placed the box down and showed me some of his works.

"Wow! There are so many of them, why don't you put them back to your collection?" his eyes lingered in a light sadness before he gave a faint smile.

"Because those are the masks of my friends who've fallen in battle" my expression changed and I turned quiet.

"I'm sorry..." I apologized but he looked at me and shook his head.