Forty-Five

i know, i know, it's been a while. Youngblood is out and it gave me some serious vibes :) i hope you guys love this.

although, you may hate me when this is all over. 

"What do you think it means?"

"I don't know."

"That's not good enough!"

"Well, what do you want from me? I've never been blackmailed before."

"Is this blackmail?"

"I think so! How am I supposed to know?! I just said I've never been blackmailed before."

Belle rubs her hands over her face, looking down at the paper. She sighs, trying to remember if she's ever seen this type of handwriting before because it looks vaguely familiar. She grunts, dropping her head into her hands.

"I think it's blackmail," Luke repeats, looking over the paper again. "I'm going to kill whoever did this."

She looks over it again, skimming the page with her eyes.

Do the police know about your little hideout?
Because I know.
I also know what happened in the bathroom.
Do you want me to tell?

Belle groans, falling back onto his mattress, covering her face with her hands, "I can't believe someone would say things like this."

"It has to be Wesley," Luke decides, pacing as he stands to his feet. "He's just mad because I kicked his a-"

He looks at Belle, her eyes turned into slits, and pauses, "I kicked his butt. He's mad because I kicked his butt."

She giggles, "I don't know. It's not Wesley's handwriitng, unless he had someone else write it for him." Belle rubs her fingertips over the top of the page, as if touching the words would bring forth their owner. "Hideout?"

"They've got to be talking about the camp," Luke waves his arms around, gesturing to the homeless camp all around them. He sighs, "It's well-hidden, I don't know how anyone who cares could have found out. And why would anyone care?"

"Some people are just vindictive, Luke," Belle explains. She folds the letter back and places it on his small table. "Some people have nothing better to do than to be nasty."

"I don't like the way this smells," he continues, returning to his pacing. "I'm worried something might happen."

Belle reaches out and grasps his wrist, tugging him to her, "I think it's just a threat, to see if it will drive people out of here. Did anyone else see it?"

Luke shakes his head, "The note was tacked to my van."

"Someone might have seen who put it there?" Belle questions, now moving so her hands are wrapped around the backs of his thighs, holding him tight to her. Luke shakes his head, "I asked around already, before I called you here. No one saw anyone unusual."

Belle rests her cheek on his abdomen, holding him around the waist, "People are terrible. Whether it's a drunk driver or a bully."

"You're not terrible," Luke murmurs. He traces his hand down her cheek, his thumb brushing her jaw, "Not all people are terrible."

"I know," she responds, leaning into his palm. She kisses his wrist and looks up at him with innocence blowing her pupils wide, "I don't want anything to happen to you."

He smiles, leaning down to meet her lips with his, his hands cupping her face, "Nothing's going to happen to me. Or you. Or anyone here."

He kisses her soundly, reassurance flowing through from his soul to hers. She pulls on his waist and finds herself growing warm at the feel of him, his mouth on hers and his skin under her hands.