Sunset: Book Two [prologue]

a/n: for those of you who haven't yet read sunset, the second book in the sunshine series, i figured i'd post it here! the link to the official story can be found here: https://www.wattpad.com/story/152268986-sunset-l-h

He will never forget the stench of ash caked on the ground.

She will never forget the terrified screams echoing from the rubble.

He will never forget the tears of his makeshift family as they realize they've lost their homes.

She will never forget the cries of a mother who lost her child in the explosion.

"Who would do something like this?" Belle's voice cracks as she looks at the clearing that was once many people's homes. She shakes her head and wipes at the itching soot on her face.

"I don't know," Luke responds, wrapping his arms around her shoulders and pulling her in tight. "But my van is what started the fire."

"It's not even functional," Belle wraps her arms around his waist, tears clouding her vision. "How could something inside of it cause an explosion?"

Luke's thumbs find her hips and he grounds himself there, grinding his teeth against one another, "I don't know. This has to be connected to the letter. I'm going to figure out who did this."

"Where's the Fire Department?" Belle's mother pants, passing out extra clothes and blankets along with mugs of hot cocoa. "I called the police like thirty minutes ago!"

Luke takes a deep breath, his arms freezing around Belle. He licks his lips, shuffling his feet nervously in the presence of her mother, "It's a homeless camp. The police and the firemen don't care about us."

"Not when Wesley's father runs the whole gig," Belle adds, dropping her head to his chest. She sniffles, relishing in the stability Luke's arms bring her.

Belle's mom looks at the teenagers and her features soften, "We'll figure out a way to fix this. I promise."

Luke nods, grinding his teeth together. His hold on Belle tightens and there's a darkness to his blue eyes she's never seen before. "When I figure out who did this, there will be hell to pay."

a/n: so, that's the prologue! we're currently at chap 7 in the fic, so go check it out! luke and belle's saga continues!

also: let me know if you would like to see a one shot series of Luke and Belle that's sort of like a "deleted scenes" where i dive into the specifics of the story that are overlooked by the time skips i have to do to keep the book moving along; if you would, would you want the deleted scenes posted here or as a separate work on my profile? let me know!

AND THANK YOU GUYS FOR READING! x

also: here's what belle looks like!