Forget Past Behavior

Sweety's POV

Arjun left saying I can ask her anything. I know what he meant but how could I speak personal things to a stranger. She seems to be nice but I myself don't know what to ask.

"Sweety madam ! You can ask me anything you want . Don't hesitate" she asked in soft voice

"Please call me Sweety. I'm fine it's nothing" I said

"Sweety, the way you said nothing says there is something. Please Don't hesitate" She said affectionately.

" It is... you know ... it's just .... that I got my periods yesterday" I said shyly

She looked at me blankly not understanding "do you have severe abdominal pains?" she asked guessing .

" No ... no... it's my first time and....." I couldn't say anything as i thought she might laugh if I say I'm scared.

"You are scared?" she asked and I nodded yes .

"Everyone will be scared, it is natural. Even I was scared. You would have been more scared as no one was there except Arjun. But you are a brave girl. Don't worry Sweety. There are few traditions to be followed. Wait here I will come" saying that she left .

I wish my mom is like her.

She came back after few minutes with tray of something yellow and red and flowers. She made me sit and applied yellow paste on my face , hand and legs and red color on forehead and poured flowers on me. " God bless you with 100 years of life with good husband and kids " she said emotionally putting her right hand on my head . I could feel the motherly affection in her voice .

"Your kids are so lucky to have a mom like you" I said remembering my mom who never spoke to me like this .

She started to cry. I didn't know what happened and why she is crying .

"Did I say something wrong? I'm really sorry if I said something to hurt you"

"No.... no.... Sweety . You didn't say anything wrong. I don't have kids. Its been 14 years that I got married. I love kids so much and always wish to get pregnant but its not happening" she cried

Why is God like this ? He gave kid to my mom who doesn't deserve to be a woman let alone mother and made a kind woman childless.

"I believe in God. Don't worry you will have kids soon .You are very kind, never met me but treated me kindly like your kid" I said

"Your aunt always speak about you. I liked you and after meeting you I wish to have a girl like you" she said emotionally

she asked if I had breakfast. Then she cleaned the home and made lunch. She said she will be back in the evening .

_______________________________________________________________________________

Arjun didn't speak much after that. He kept staring at me sometimes and when I look he just turned the other way. It looks like he wants to say something but couldn't say .

In the evening Vimalamma came. She gave me a box full of sweets and said its made up of seseme seeds and its good for me to eat now. Then she hesitated to give me a packet saying "You are very rich, don't know if you would wear something given by a maid. I understand if you don't want to wear but I wanted to give something to you as I consider you as my daughter"

I asked her to wait there and went inside to wear the dress she gave. Its very beautiful Salwar. I never wore Indian dress because my mom wouldn't let me wear. Even my aunt couldn't give me because of my mom. I looked different but beautiful in that dress .

She was so happy to see me in that dress

"I could only afford this"  she said hesitatingly

"I love to wear Indian dresses but couldn't wear till now. Thank you so much, it's beautiful" saying that I bent to touch her legs to take blessings

She stopped me and said " you shouldn't touch my legs. I'm just a maid "

"You said I'm like your daughter. If you really feel why are you stopping me from receiving blessings from a mother" and I touched her legs for blessings .

"God will give you all the happiness in the world child " saying that she couldn't hold her tears .

" I will go make dinner for you" she said

" Lets all of us go out for dinner" i said

She hesitated for a minute and said there is a tradition in my aunt's family that I cannot go out till tomorrow. There are some rituals and my aunt's family is supposed to give me Lehenga Choli  ( Indian traditional dress ) bangles for me .

I said " It's ok, we can go tomorrow"

She said, she needs to go home as her mother - in - law is sick and her husband is not at home .

"Arjun will take good care of you. I trust him otherwise I wouldn't leave you alone with a boy during this time"  she added

I too trust him . Even before he was nice to me , I always feel safe and comfortable with him .

After she left Arjun came and sat with me but was quiet .

" Sweety, I'm really sorry for being rude to you always. I know you hate me for my behavior but can you forget everything and start fresh" he asked 

"I always like you Arjun. You make everyone around you happy. I tried to befriend and play with you as kids but you were rude to me. I used to feel so sad when you were indifferent to me" I said

"I. Sorry. Lets be friends" he said stretching his hands

"Friends" I said shaking his hands

We had dinner and started to watch Twilight movie .

'