Compromise for Friend

Niharika's POV

I'm going to India to attend my Bestie's (Siri) engagement and wedding. She is the sister I never had. When I think about how Im so close to her even though I know her for 2 years, its really strange. I feel as if I know her for ages . Fortunately she too feels the same about me. 

I saw her 2 years back in Brooklyn Hindu temple teaching kids Carnatic music. She came to USA to do MS. We used to meet every Saturday in temple,  then we were inseparable. She gave me all the love I missed.  She is a mother, friend and sister to me. I never felt lonely after she came into my life. She used to make all Indian dishes for me. They are delicious. My butler cooks everything but Indian food. She left 6 months back after completing  her studies. Few days back she called to invite me for her wedding. 

Siri's picture

I feel very sick because of flight journey, not to mention the horrible food . I don't know why the food seems so off. I threw up twice even after taking medicine. I couldn't  sleep properly in the whole journey.

I took my luggage with the help of porters and came out of the airport to be engulfed into hug by Siri. It feels like ages that I have seen her.

"Siri, are you going to suffocate me to death? please do that after your marriage. I really want to see your wedding" she chuckled hearing me.

"Neha , I miss you so much. Why aren't you calling me daily since 1 month ? Why do you look so weak. Oh my god! you lost so much weight . Why do you have dark circles under you eyes? Aren't you sleeping? She started bombarding with questions. I can see her concern and love.

"Siri , you know I have problem with flight journey. I threw up in the flight and couldn't eat  or sleep, obviously I look like this. Moreover I miss your food. Now that I'm here surely I need to change my wardrobe before leaving India".

"what" she asked not understanding my joke.

"Siri, I'm sure you are going to make me obese in this 1 month of my stay. That's why. We both broke into laughter.

 We got into the car as the driver loaded my luggage into the trunk.

"Neha, are you really ok. Did your mom do something again? Don't tell me everything is fine. I can clearly see through you. Definitely you are hiding something. Please tell me Neha".

 I cannot hide anything  from her , she knows me inside out. But I need to do it .

Flash back

After my mom  informed me about my marriage I thought about my life. I cannot live on her terms always.  After few weeks I mustered courage and called my mom.

"mom, I ....." she cut me off "not now Neha I'm busy  and have meeting in half an hour"   but I'm not going to let her dictate me today.

"mommm , If you don't come home right now I will be in your office and speak in front of everyone what I have to talk" I said in stern voice.

"ok Neha I will be there in 20 minutes"  . I think she understood I  would do that.

She came home with angry look  "what is that you want to talk Neha" she screamed.

"I  won't marry Rohan" I said

"what"  she said in surprised tone.

" You heard me" I said

"Neha  you  are  marrying  Rohan  and  that's  final"

"Mom, all my life you made decisions for me. I wanted  to become doctor  but you made to go for  business management course  to  look after your business. I never have any real friends because you want me to be friends with  only kids of your business circle who care nothing but money. Now you want me to marry that Rohan" I said in disgusted tone.

"Rohan is  top billionaire ,handsome , intelligent  business man and  son of  senator"  . "what else you need in a husband"  she  said  as if  I'm dumb  to  understand.

"You   are  forgetting  basic  qualities  mom. He is  a playboy and womanizer with no basic morals". I  said

" Don't believe the gossips" she said

"Are you serious mom ?  I know him better  thanks to you. All my life you forced me to make friends with him since he is the son of your close friend and business partner. He is nothing but an asshole.  Being a daughter I cannot tell more about that  bastard. He always tried to take advantage of me.  Since he couldn't, wants to marry me."I  myself am surprised at how I'm speaking to my mom. All my life I never spoke to my mom except answering her .

"Neha, I don't want to hear any nonsense. I know Rohan is the perfect guy and you are marrying him. That's final. You know me well, I can do anything to make things happen in my way. There is no escape. Get that into your thick skull"  saying that she started to leave.

Suddenly she turned back and said  "Neha, no matter what you say , Rohan will be your husband. if you agree on your own I will let you to go to India for your friend's wedding that you asked me permission before"  she said in soft tone.

I know there is no escape. She will destroy everything around me to give in. I nodded accepting her decision.Why is my life so hopeless?

She left with a smile of satisfaction.