Part 2

*A/N: starting here is in Keith's point of view. Certain future chapters will go back to third person for specific reasons. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. ~Y.B.*

That afternoon, our normal group was busy with "piles of useless shitty schoolwork that we'd never use in our lives. "

I quote Lance on that. 

And Pidge's genius response was, "It is useful and you need it in college and for the rest of your life."

 "Fuck college," says Lance. 

 I did believe that most things you learn in school you would use later in life, but certain subjects played no part in that aspect of life. But the school district still pushed you to learn it. If not, well, you fail. Which Lance is definitely close to achieving. And he is proud of it for some odd fuckery.

I was one of the highest in all of my classes. Of course Pidge and Hunk were excelling just as fast...maybe faster, but I can't seem to take school as seriously as they do. Yet they still have decent social lives. And mine is...shit.

There's no better word for it. I have no social life at all. Who would want to socialize with the "emo" of the school? Honestly, I was thinking about dropping out. Yeah, it sounds horrible and all, but I already knew most of the stuff they taught. I taught myself. I never had parents there to do that job in the first place and I never saw it as Shiro's responsibility, so I did it. But the damn "dad" just wants me to finish high school so I can say I graduated. He never pushed me to go to college, but he always told me I could if I felt that I wanted to. I didn't. 

 "Keith?" 

 I could've sworn I heard my name a full five minutes ago. That same voice was ringing in my ears again, interrupting my thoughts as usual.

 "Keith." I snapped out of the trance that I seemed to be in at the moment. It was that second that I remember where I was. The library. 

I glanced over at the small girl next to me, hair short and wild, round glasses propped nearly on the edge of her nose, and large hazel eyes gazing up at me curiously.

 "You okay?" She asked suddenly , poking at my shoulder. I nodded and looked around, seeing the literal piles of notebooks and textbooks in front of me. I think just by Hunk's expression, he could hear my thoughts. 

 "You're kinda dazed over there. Maybe you should take a break." 

 His smile was warm and sympathetic. Brown eyes showing nothing but purity in them.

I hadn't realize how hard I'd been pressing my pencil in the paper in front of me. I looked down at the dark circle I'd imprinted in graphite. I let out a barely Audible exhausted sigh and leaned back in the wooden library chair.

 "You're right...this damn homework has me drained."

 suddenly I hear the library door open and in walls a tall and slender boy with caramel tinted skin and deep blue eyes. He theatrically outstretched his arms then threaded his long fingers through his brunette hair.

 "Ya boi is back!" He shouted dramatically , striking a strange pose in the doorway. Unfortunately, there was no librarian present to tell him to shut his trap.

 "Should I sing 'Slim Shady?'" rge suggested with a smirk.

 "No! No, no, no!" Lance dejected, pointing at Pidge from the doorway. 

 "Anything but Pidge's awful singing!" He shouted, his arms swinging in an X in the air. 

 I rolled my eyes and looked back at the paper. I couldn't push away the slight smile that tugged at the corner of my mouth. Though ridiculous and cringy, I found his humor to be cute in a way.

I watched subtly as the Cuban make came over and sat across the table from me, next to Hunk. He decided to slam a giant history textbook against the table before seating himself. 

 "Someone's ready to study" I said blankly, not looking up from the paper in front of me. I could just feel Lance's eyes glaring at me. By his change of subject, I could tell he didn't have a response to that.

 "I have to leave in a while." He groaned. " my mom wants me home early to do chores because my siblings are out for today. "

 "Must suck" Purge replied, staring at her phone as if she didn't care.

 "It does suck! You know why? Because I clean up their shit all the time! It's not fair!"

 " that's how families work, Lance. " Hunk said with a grin.

 "And you're not new to it obiously, so get over it." Pidge added, placing her phone face down on the table. 

 " Pidge, are you even done with your homework? " Lance asked, avoiding the subject.

 "Finished in class"

 "Then why are you here?"

 " to talk to you idiots"

I looked up. I could see Hunk was too. 

 "Not you, Hunk." 

 I couldn't help but feel offended.

 "Keith...you're okay." 

 I took that as a compliment.

That afternoon was over before I knew it. I walked home alone with only half of my homework finished and a report I still needed to start. But I was too tired, mentally and physically, to do anything. Once I got home, my first intended activity was sleep.