Twenty-seven - New Nerves

Day 51 Friday – showtime

"It's today. Promise you'll all make it, or maybe don't come. I don't know. Oh my god I have to leave in like 5 minutes. I won't be able to focus at all in class." Youngjae is beyond nervous. His heart is pounding away way faster than he can keep up with.

"Calm down, Youngjae. I don't think anyone wants to miss the lovebirds in action," his brother teases from his chair. His mocking chuckle sends a dry sigh out of Youngjae's mouth.

"I hate you."

"You love being on stage so I'm sure you'll have fun once you're out there." His father hugs him after giving his brother a stern look and Youngjae feels soothed by the words like only a parent can do it.

The doorbell rings and Youngjae jumps out of the kitchen to get it. "Hi Bummie." Jaebum looks morningy with sleepy eyes and his hands in his pockets. His chuckle is just as tired as the rest of him and Youngjae could fall to his knees and cry at the cuteness but he decides not to for the sake of his dignity.

"Bummie? Not sure how I feel about that." As he speaks he starts to smile and his shoulders shyly head for his ears that are covered by his black hoodie. He looks so sleepy and it is so unbearably cute.

"You're gonna have to live with it." He smiles before turning around to put his shoes on while announcing his departure. His parents come out to wave at Jaebum and say goodbye and good luck.

"We can't wait to see you tonight." Jaebum mumbles a quick thank you before they shut the door behind them and make their way to school that today is a lot more than just school. Before too long they will be revealing themselves through the characters they have played for so long now, the characters they have fallen in love with and feel very vulnerable about showing off to both familiar and unfamiliar faces. The audience is mostly family of the crew but there will be teachers there too, other students and their families. There are a lot of seats on that tribune and there is a lot at stake tonight. Once the sun starts to set, their hands will be full and their brains will be working on trying to keep focus.

"Are you thinking about it too?" Youngjae nods as Jaebum interrupts the unintended silence.

"It's a lot to face in a way." Jaebum agrees and slips his hand into the pocket of Youngjae's jacket where he entwines their hands and it makes him feel a lot less alone.

Jinyoung is at the front entrance with Mark where they are in the middle of throwing out their cigarettes one at a time. "It's quite therapeutic to do it like this," he explains to his friends as they step closer.

"Nice. Work that healthy lifestyle!" Youngjae cheers. Jaebum joins in because as much as he feels fresh and liberated after quitting, he does miss them a bit and to have his close friends going through the same thing is always a help.

"Now we can be healthy together. Let's go eat a salad with no dressing and play some sports." The sarcasm is dripping from Jaebum's lips and it makes all of them laugh as they turn to walk towards their school building.

"Did you hear that we don't have to go to classes after lunch? Miss Kwon got us out of them," Mark tells and Youngjae's face lights up.

"That's a relief."

A few classes feel like forever when all you do is stare up at the clock every few seconds which is why leaving his last class, Youngjae jogs all the way out the back and to the stage. He is the first one there but the others are not far behind and are beaming with as much nervous excitement as he is. They thank the warm weather as they start to work. An unusual number of students have decided to eat outside today and it makes Jaebum and Youngjae extra shy about walking out on stage in full costumes.