Strength and Hardships

Marinette had just finished cleaning the bakery when Alya walked in.

"Hey, Alya," Marinette said with a smile.

"Hey, girl," Alya said sadly as she leaned against the counter resting her head on her hand.

"What's the matter?" Marinette said putting the broom away.

"You know that new king, Prince John?"

"Yeah, he became the ruler of France after the French king died."

"Well, there's a rumor going around that he's a tyrant."

"Tyrant?"

"Yup.  He taxes his people 'til their homeless and anyone who defies him is put in jail."

"Are you serious?  But wait aren't these just rumors."

"That's what I thought until a friend of my mom's showed up at our doorstep last night.  She escaped from France and came here.  Everything she told my mom was like the rumors said."

"But doesn't King Gabriel know about this?  Wouldn't he be concerned about the country his wife lived?"

"John is keeping it under wraps and besides it's only affecting the capital."

"Paris."

"Exactly.  All king John cares about is money, he's a total brat."

Just then a girl with sun blonde hair and blue eyes walked in.  Her yellow heels clanked against the wooden floor as she held up her yellow dress.

"Speaking of brats," Alya said as the girl grew closer.

"Now, now.  No need to be jealous, afterall us of the higher class are always envied by that of the lower class," the girl said with a snobbish tone.

"Oh, please.  I'd rather be down here, then up there where your snobbish self is," Alya replied.

The girl scoffed.  "Why don't you make yourself useful and get me something to drink?"

Alya rolled her eyes and stayed where she was, ignoring the bratty girl's orders.

The girl then turned to Marinette and smirked.  "I see the baker girl has managed to keep this place running, it'd  be a shame if it was closed down."

"Chloe, you wouldn't," Marinette said clenching her fist on the counter.

"Try me.  Don't forget my daddy is the sheriff and he's just been appointed sheriff of Paris by the king of France himself. 

Alya and Marinette's jaws drops at this news.  "Are you serious?"asked Alya.

"I guess the news hasn't reached the commons area, yet."

The two girls scoffed at Chloe.  "Now then Marinette, either you show me some respect or you can say goodbye to this little bakery of yours," Chloe said with a devious grin.

Marinette clenched her fist again and swallowed her pride.  "What would you like, Miss Bourgeois?"

"I would like an apple pie, baker."

Marinette went to fulfill Chloe's request as she got the pie.  She then presented it to Chloe who examined it.

"Oh, what a lovely pie, you must've woke up early this morning to make it.  The exhaustion is written all over your face," Chloe chuckled.

Marinette only looked at Chloe as she laughed.  Then as Chloe lifted her hand she tipped the pie, having it land in Marinette's face.  The pie container fell to the ground with a clatter and Chloe merely laughed at her humiliation.  Alya quickly grabbed a clean cloth and began to wipe Marinette's face.

"Now you're like the dirt.  Filthy." Marinette stayed silent as Chloe continued to insult her.  Alya did her best to hold in her anger as she cleaned Marinette.

When Chloe was finished she took her leave with her head held high and her ego even higher.

As Alya cleaned Marinette's face she saw tears run down her eyes.  "Mari?" She asked with concern looking at her friend's crying face.

Marinette said nothing and continued to cry.  Alya hugged Marinette.  She didn't care if pie stains got on her clothes, her friend was more important.  Marinette cried in Alya's arms, she didn't want to lose the bakery and she knew Chloe couldn't take it away no matter how many times she threatened too, but her words would always get to her. 

All Marinette could do was swallow her pride and stand as tall as she could. 

------------------------------
Hey guys, so here's a special 2 updates in one day..mainly because I have to leave my home due to a hurricane evacuation.  So if the power goes out and I'm unable to update, I won't have to worry about it....because I already updated twice today.  The next chapter will be up a little later.  Bye!