Solo Mission (1)

"Nathaniel?"

The moonlight shined brighter and revealed the figure's face.  A dark mask formed over his blue-grey eyes.  His red hair had black ends and a hood covered his head.  His shirt was white with black stripes and had a circle with three colors in the center of his clothing.   He smiled at her.  "It's been a long time Marinette."

Marinette was speechless.  The kind boy she had met 3 years ago and left for Paris a year later was standing in front of her.  But he wasn't the same.  Hawkmoth had taken him prisoner, the real Nathaniel.

"What..What happened to you?" she asked.

"Something amazing," he smiled.

Marinette's eyes widened.  How could being akumatized be amazing?  This wasn't the sweet boy that she'd met 2 years ago.  "Nathaniel, you need help.  Let Ladybug and Chat Noir help you," she pleaded.

"No, I don't need their help," he said moving closer to her.  "I came here for you."

"What?"

"I want to show you the stars and...my heart."

Marinette was shocked.  Nathaniel was in love with her?  All these years...Marinette had to tell Nathaniel the truth, but how could she?  He's under Hawkmoth's control and one wrong move could put not only her but everyone else in danger!

"What do you mean show me the stars?" she asked, trying to stay calm.

He smiled, then grabbed her hand pulling her towards him.  "I'm taking you to Paris.  The skies are beautiful at night, but not as beautiful as you."

Marinette blushed a little at his compliment.  But she was still a bit scared.  Thankfully, he couldn't tell.  "Wait, we're going now?"

Nathaniel scooped Marinette up in his arms.  "That's right."

Before Marinette could speak, Nathaniel took her upstairs and jumped through her bedroom window.  However, unbeknownst to him, Tikki was with Marinette all along.  Hiding in her apron pocket.  The little kwami had to get a message to Chat Noir or at the very least Plagg.  

*

Adrien yawned as he finished his work.  He stood from his chair and stretched; looking forward to a good night's sleep.  Before he could walk to his bed, a small tweet caught his attention.  His eyes looked toward the balcony and saw a small red bird.  Immediately, he knew it was a message from his Lady.

Concerned that something had happened, he ran over to the bird.  With a single touch, the bird turned into a note from Ladybug.  

Chat Noir,

I need your help!  Hawkmoth has released another akuma!  The victim is a young artist, and he's kidnapped a girl from Nottingham.  Her name is Marinette and she's the village baker.  You have to save her before tomorrow, otherwise, the people of Nottingham will panic!  I know you're wondering where I am, but I can't be there to help you.  I was injured while in my civilian self.  I'm counting on you to ward off the akuma and save the girl.

I'm sorry I have to leave you alone, Chat.  I'll make it up to you, I promise. Please, be careful.

An akuma had kidnapped someone from his kingdom?  Ladybug was injured?  Adrien had to fulfill his partner's wish and save Marinette.  He had never met the girl, but she lived his kingdom.  As such, it was his duty to protect her and anyone else who might be in danger.

"Plagg, let's go!" Adrien exclaimed looking at the kwami.

"Why~?" the kwami whined.  "I wanna sleep."

"Sorry, buddy, but an akuma's on the loose and Ladybug's not around," Adrien explained as he stuffed pillows under his bed sheets.

"Can't it wait til tomorrow?" the kwami yawned, closing his eyes to sleep.

Adrien rolled his eyes.  "I'll give you a week's worth of cheese for breakfast tomorrow~."

Plagg jolted up and snapped his eyes open.  He flew to the wall and opened the passageway.  "What are we waiting for?  Let's go be heroes!"

Adrien chuckled.  At least he knew how to persuade Plagg.  Adrien ran down the tunnel and when they reached the forest, Adrien said the magic words.

"Plagg, claws out!"

In a bright green light, Adrien transformed into Chat Noir.  He didn't know where to find the girl, but he knew it was somewhere in Paris.  He ran through the forest; hoping it would take him to her.  Sure enough, it did.   He stood behind the trees and bushes, but saw a young man with red hair and a girl in his arms.

"Marinette," the young man said, "we're here."

"Where are we?" the girl in his arms asked.

"My favorite spot in all of Paris.  From here, the stars can be seen as works of art."

Chat listened as the two continued to talk.  He waited for the right opportunity.  The girl in his arms, Marinette, seemed calm.  But Chat knew she wasn't.  She had to calm on the outside, but on the inside she was scared.  He just had to save her.

After a while, Chat found his opportunity when the young man set Marinette down.  "Nathaniel," she spoke.  "Please take me home."

"Why?" he asked moving closer to her.

"Because my friends will be worried about me.  I don't want them to worry.  Please.  I-if anything, we can continue this tomorrow night.  Please, Nathaniel," she begged.

Chat was amazed at how brave this girl was.  She was actually begging the akuma and he was listening to her.

The akuma looked at Marinette and Chat readied himself in case something went wrong.  The akuma sighed and agreed.  He then scooped Marinette up in his arms and took her back to Nottingham.  Chat followed through the forest and found himself at the edge of Nottingham where the forest began.  The akuma had just landed and Marinette asked him to leave her in case someone saw them.  The akuma agreed and left.

*

Marinette sighed.  What was she gonna do?  Nathaniel was such a sweet person, but the fact he got akumatized because he was in love with her...made her blood boil.  Hawkmoth was going to pay for this.

"Looks like you didn't need saving," a voice stated.

Marinette whipped her head around and saw a pair of gree cat eyes staring at her.  Chat Noir?  What was he doing here?  She then realized that Tikki was in her apron pocket.  She must've sent a message to Chat Noir.

"I came to rescue a damsel in distress, but...You aren't a damsel, are you?" he moved closer.

Marinette had to play dumb.  She couldn't risk Chat Noir finding out her secret identity.  "Who are you?" she asked.

"You haven't heard of me?" he tilted his head.  "I don't expect you to, seeing as the problem is in Paris and not Nottingham.   My name is Chat Noir and I was supposed to save you from that akuma.  But it looked like you handled yourself pretty well."

"Chat Noir?  Oh!  You're one of those criminals that Prince John wants dead or alive.  But where's Ladybug?  Was she...?"

"No, she wasn't.  She just had other business to attend to.  Speaking of which, it's probably best if we don't talk here.  You never know who's listening."

Marinette knew that all too well.  With all the rumors and wanted posters, anyone could be listening.

"Come with me and we can continue our discussion about saving your friend," Chat smiled as he outstretched his hand.

Marinette blushed a little then smiled as well.  She gently placed her hand on Chat Noir's.  Whether as Ladybug or Marinette, she had no reason to doubt him.