Finding Adrien (2)

"Well, well, what do we have here?" Hawkmoth sneered. "Prince Adrien is missing, which means there's a chance for you to take the throne."

"I know that already!" Prince John hissed. "But how are we going to find him before those animal freaks do?"

Prince John paced in Hawkmoth's lair as the two began to think of new ideas to take down the annoying heroes, who were now a trio instead of a double. The pure, white butterflies fluttered around the lair. Each one was a soon to be akuma that would play part in Hawkmoth's plan.

"It's clear the king will be searching desperately for his son, and he would do anything to find him, correct?" Hawkmoth queried.

"Yes," Prince John answered.

"And the King believes his son ran away, but what if he didn't?"

"What are you talking about? Of course, he ran away! He wasn't kidnapped--" A devilish grin formed on Prince John's face.  As they say, 'great minds think alike'.

*

The three heroes returned to the cabin deep within Sherwood. They searched high and low for Adrien while at the same time battling Hawkmoth and his akumas. Chat Noir collapsed on the couch, while Ladybug and Rena Rouge sat in chairs in the dining room.

"Where could he be?" Rena sighed, letting her head fall on the wooden table.

"I don't know," replied Ladybug. "We've looked everywhere."

"Worst-case scenario, John the Idiot and Hawkmoth got to him first."

"No, they didn't," Chat Noir voiced from the couch.

"And how would you know?"

Because he was Adrien.

"Think about it, if they did find him, don't you think they would announce it? King Gabriel would do anything to get his son back, so..."

"They would use Adrien as a bargaining chip to get King Gabriel to hand over his throne," Ladybug finished.

"Well," Rena sighed. "in any case, it's been a long day and we're all pretty tired. I think it's best if we call it a day," she suggested.

Ladybug nodded, and followed Rena Rouge out. When they separated, she notice Chat Noir wasn't behind her. Normally, he'd flirt with her and beg her not leave. Feeling worried, Ladybug went back to the hideout and her partner still on the couch.

"Aren't you going back?" she asked.

"Oh, yeah! It's just this couch is so comfortable!" he joked.'

"Well, come on, I'm sure your friends and family are worried about you," she smiled.

"Yeah," he half-smiled.

Once in the clearing, the two said their farewells and parted; or so they thought. Chat Noir hid himself behind a tree and waited until his Lady left. He didn't want her to be suspicious of him, but he also hated lying to her. With a look of sorrow, he returned to the hideout where he found Master Fu waiting for him.

"Welcome back, Adrien," the old man smiled, drinking his tea at the dinner table. "Why don't you relax and eat? It's been a long day."

Chat Noir looked down and saw an entire feast laid out. All of his favorite foods and some of Plagg's favorite cheese were laid out. The smell of roasted chicken filled the air and made its way to Adrien's nose. One sniff and his stomach growled; begging to eat the delicious food.

The young hero smiled and detransformed. With two words, he became the runaway prince again. The kwami immediately flew to the plates cheese devouring everything in sight.  Adrien chuckled as he sat down at the far end of the table, directly across from Master Fu.

"Please, help yourself," he insisted. "After all, this meal was made for three," the old man winked.

A bright smile covered the boy's face. How long has it been since he had a meal with someone? The old man reminded Adrien of his grandfather, and how he would demand a family dinner every time he stayed over.  It was the same whenever they stayed at his castle too.  Adrien chuckled at the memories.  He missed them. Both his mother and grandpa and the fun times they all shared. He wished they could come back. Like any child, he wanted those memories to return. 

His vision became blurry as water filled his eyes. Hot tears streamed down his cheeks. He tried to stop himself, but he couldn't.

"It's alright," said Master Fu.

Adrien looked up and saw the old man smiling. At that moment, he cried, and he continued until his heart stopped hurting.